Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >
Off topic: How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?
Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.
Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:03
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
They have a lot to answer for Jun 24, 2016

Catherine De Crignis wrote:
When I was living in the UK, I certainly saw way too many ludicrous (yet funny at times, I must admit) anti-European headlines on so-called "news"papers I find indecent to name here.

They are a national disgrace! Why on earth they can't be controlled to some extent beats me. I know we must have free speech but the mass of misinformation published daily by some is quite unbelievable. Unfortunately, very many people prefer to believe that it's all true.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Another thread Jun 24, 2016

May I suggest that all those wishing to comment go to this new thread?

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/303605-eu_referendum_brexit_voting_day_in_the_uk_leave_remain_discuss.html

[Edited at 2016-06-24 12:10 GMT]

David Lin
David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Sad Jun 24, 2016

Only 1 million votes makes the difference. I wonder whether the "remain" campaign reached those parts of the UK at all. The majority of those in the London area voted to "remain" (including myself), but it seems those who are not think differently.

To be honest, whether to remain or leave does not make much difference to me as a freelance translator and interpreter but as a Chinese Brit I do not think we can live on an island in the 21st Century although I appreciate the older gene
... See more
Only 1 million votes makes the difference. I wonder whether the "remain" campaign reached those parts of the UK at all. The majority of those in the London area voted to "remain" (including myself), but it seems those who are not think differently.

To be honest, whether to remain or leave does not make much difference to me as a freelance translator and interpreter but as a Chinese Brit I do not think we can live on an island in the 21st Century although I appreciate the older generation has perhaps some bad memories of what happened in Europe that impacted the British Isles in the past 100+ years.

Well, we shall have a new PM as Cameron has announced his resignation. Boris Johnson waiting on the wings?
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Spanish general election on Sunday - wonder how it will be affected? Jun 24, 2016

David Lin wrote:
Well, we shall have a new PM as Cameron has announced his resignation. Boris Johnson waiting on the wings?

Oh goodness me! Boris Johnson on one side of the pond; Donald Trump queueing on the other; and Spain voting this weekend. The Canary Islands, way out in the Atlantic Ocean, seem a rather precarious place to be at the moment.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:33
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Generational divide Jun 24, 2016

David Lin wrote:
... I do not think we can live on an island in the 21st Century although I appreciate the older generation has perhaps some bad memories of what happened in Europe that impacted the British Isles in the past 100+ years.

The older generation seems to have opted for leave while the younger generation was for remain. Normally one would except the older to be wiser, and the younger to be brash. But perhaps times are changing!

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 06:03
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please keep the discussion within the bounds of ProZ.com's scope Jun 24, 2016

Hello,

I just wanted to remind everyone that ProZ.com forums are provided solely for discussions within ProZ.com's scope: http://www.proz.com/siterules/forum/1#1 . Please keep your posts focused on how you think the events will affect the profession, rather than on politics. Thank you.

Best regards,
Alejandro

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:33
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Economic activities that would be affected Jun 24, 2016

From what I could gather from what the experts and think-tanks have to say in various newspapers and tv channels, it is going to be a mixed bag. Here is a sampling:

The weaking pound would make travel to UK attractive for foreign tourists thus benefiting UK's tourism industry and the translation professionals linked to this profession could expect to reap the benefits.

The weak pound would also make UK real estate cheaper for billionaires around the world who would snap
... See more
From what I could gather from what the experts and think-tanks have to say in various newspapers and tv channels, it is going to be a mixed bag. Here is a sampling:

The weaking pound would make travel to UK attractive for foreign tourists thus benefiting UK's tourism industry and the translation professionals linked to this profession could expect to reap the benefits.

The weak pound would also make UK real estate cheaper for billionaires around the world who would snap up attractive properties in and around London and other prime areas in the scenario of a weak pound visavis their currencies. Admittedly, the Brits wouldn't have any objection to this type of foreign immigration! Of course, these billionair immigrants would hardly live in these properties - it would be just bought for investment purposes. This would eventually push property prices and make much of the prime areas unaffordable for normal-income Brits.

The weak pound would also make British products extremely costly in the world market, and many of them could become uncompetitive, forcing many British industries to close or shift elsewhere. The Tatas who manufature cars and steel in the UK are already in trouble and are reworking their business strategies. This could affect many jobs.

Many foreign firms, especially from the commonwealth, have offices in UK which they use also to cover the EU territory. Now they would have to open separate offices in the EU, which would mean that they would downsize their current UK operations, which in turn could mean thousands of UK jobs would be lost. These firms would probably need a lot of translation support in the major European languages, which could benefit translators translating into various European languages, especially German and French.

London's position as a major financial centre could also get challenged as rival centres develop within the EU in the new scenario. As 80% jobs in the UK are in the service sector, particularly the financial sector, this could have a major bearing on employment.

[Edited at 2016-06-24 17:06 GMT]
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
More competitive, not less Jun 24, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
The weak pound would also make British products extremely costly in the world market

Bala, the opposite is true. If the pound gets weaker you can buy more of them with every dollar, or yen, or euro.

From the buyer's perspective UK goods priced in pounds will become cheaper. If you used to pay £100 for a UK product and the exchange rate was 155 yen to the pound, the yen cost would have been 100 x 155 = 15,500 yen. If the pound weakens against the yen to 140 (where it is today), the yen cost would be 100 x 140 = 14,000 yen.

Hence products sold in a depreciating currency become MORE not less competitive. This is why, as you correctly noted "the weak pound would also make UK real estate cheaper".

Dan

Huw Watkins
Huw Watkins  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
While much of what you say is very soundly argued Jun 24, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

He says the UK has major influence, but he omits the many times the UK has been voted down in the Council of Ministers.

I feel you are being somewhat disingenuous yourself with this observation. I cite an interesting source on the matter:

http://ukandeu.ac.uk/explainers/does-the-uk-win-or-lose-in-the-council-of-ministers/

The Brexit vote was a shock and a blow to me too, much like others have expressed here, however we just have to hope now that we can get past any vitriol and all work together to forge an enduring alliance for the UK and the EU and hope and pray that our country does not become over-run by bigots.

I think this process of change is highly likely to lead to similar levels, if not an increase in translation work in several language pairs.

[Edited at 2016-06-24 19:31 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Some different perspectives by Yanis Varoufakis Jun 24, 2016

Yanis Varoufakis: Brexit won’t shield Britain from the horror of a disintegrating EU

One does not have to agree with every word he says to realise he displays more insight in this article than most of what we have heard from either side.
... See more
Yanis Varoufakis: Brexit won’t shield Britain from the horror of a disintegrating EU

One does not have to agree with every word he says to realise he displays more insight in this article than most of what we have heard from either side.

The scenarios he describes go beyond a simplistic pound-more-or-less-expensive debate, and they could indeed affect translators because of the currency turmoil that could be in store.

The Brexit debate is moot now we know the result, but it may help to understand what the future may bring, and it is not necessarily the scare scenarios we've been told.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Translators Jun 25, 2016

I know a translator from an EU Member State who has been living in the UK for many years and has put down roots. He's very worried about what may now happen - being registered as a taxpayer in the UK etc. etc. It's completely unclear if, and when, he may lose his status and no longer be able to be resident (for tax purposes) in the UK.

And if/when there is a changeover and he has to leave, how is his income/tax going to be handled for the Tax Year in which the changeover happened? N
... See more
I know a translator from an EU Member State who has been living in the UK for many years and has put down roots. He's very worried about what may now happen - being registered as a taxpayer in the UK etc. etc. It's completely unclear if, and when, he may lose his status and no longer be able to be resident (for tax purposes) in the UK.

And if/when there is a changeover and he has to leave, how is his income/tax going to be handled for the Tax Year in which the changeover happened? Nobody knows. For the UK tax authorities, negotiating this with other countries is going to be a nightmare and will have to be negotiated for each country.

This is just one example of what the Brexiteers weren't thinking about when they put their X on the voting slip.

[Edited at 2016-06-25 11:33 GMT]
Collapse

Markus Nystrom
Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:03
Swedish to English
+ ...
How one translator was affected Jun 25, 2016

I have my toast with butter and Marmite in tow, black pudding and a Pimms Cup supreme I raise in jubilation and euphoria to this happy, happy day!

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Nothing is likely to happen Jun 25, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

According to what everybody has said in both camps, they will be able to remain and preserve their acquired rights.

After five years, one can obtain permanent residence under existing laws. One may also be able to obtain British nationality, but that would be very unlikely to be required.

If you ask a legal scholar, they will say existing laws and conventions do not have cast-iron guarantees for everybody, but it would simply make no political sense whatsoever that millions of Europeans should suddenly be deported, not least in cases where someone is working, is self-employed, runs a business, owns property, etc. In the real world, it's simply not going to happen. Implementing such madness would furthermore be likely to make it impossible to obtain any reasonable agreement with the EU.

I can imagine that someone who has just arrived without money or work, and who depends on benefits, might not be allowed to remain, but we don't know the exact future rules.

We don’t even know if EU immigration will end up being limited at all, even if that’s what the Leave camp want. If they try to obtain an EEA agreement like Norway, they may need to accept EU immigration. A lot of house-trading will be necessary.

Speculating that Europeans might suddenly need visas for ordinary travel, when people from all over the world can visit Europe without a visa, seems equally unrealistic.

By the way, it would do your image a great deal of credit if you stopped insulting people and groups with a different opinion than yours in a professional forum like this.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
When was that? Jun 25, 2016

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

By the way, it would do your image a great deal of credit if you stopped insulting people and groups with a different opinion than yours in a professional forum like this.

When was that? I am copying your message to a moderator

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do you think UK leaving EU would affect our profession?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »