Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 00:45
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Short form. Jul 29, 2016

George, I suggest that you start experimenting with short form. Join Twitter for example. Can you summarize your content in one sentence and just add hashtags?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:45
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Maybe you can Jul 29, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

George Trail wrote:

I intended to end this blog in spectacular fashion from the start:

1. This is not a blog.
2. You can't end something from the start.

If the something in question has no substance, no content, is just a load of hot air, then where else could it end but at the start? Jusr a thought

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
waste no words Jul 29, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

George Trail wrote:

1. This is not a blog.

If the something in question has no substance, no content, is just a load of hot air, then where else could it end but at the start? Jusr a thought

I don't think we should be too quick to judge whether George's ramblings have any substance or not. Although I find his voluminous writings pretty much impenetrable, I do think there are some very interesting ideas hidden (deep) in there, somewhere. I suppose my advice to him re writing such a treatise (or anything at all, actually) would be: keep in mind that in order to communicate ideas to another person, you will need to make sure that your writing is clear and concise. That it should be clear is obvious. The reason I think it should also be concise is that people have less and less time these days, and so as a writer, you really need to waste no words and get to the point. You only have a few seconds before your potential reader will get bored and click on the next link or close the tab.

Michael

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
That happened to me Jul 29, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

You only have a few seconds before your potential reader will get bored and click on the next link or close the tab.

Michael

As in my case.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
I think... Jul 29, 2016

... this huge, nonsensical and repetitive outpouring has nothing to do with sharing his opinions, and everything to do with a half-baked attempt at search engine optimisation. There's more of it on his website.

"I would like to point out that it’s not true that I only write such long comments because they are so many words long and I find that that is the best (unverified) way to increase my visibility on Google and online in general."

[Edited at 2016-07-29 16:47 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
More points. Jul 29, 2016

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

George Trail wrote:

1. This is not a blog.

I don't think we should be too quick to judge whether George's ramblings have any substance or not. Although I find his voluminous writings pretty much impenetrable, I do think there are some very interesting ideas hidden (deep) in there, somewhere. I suppose my advice to him re writing such a treatise (or anything at all, actually) would be: keep in mind that in order to communicate ideas to another person, you will need to make sure that your writing is clear and concise. That it should be clear is obvious. The reason I think it should also be concise is that people have less and less time these days, and so as a writer, you really need to waste no words and get to the point. You only have a few seconds before your potential reader will get bored and click on the next link or close the tab.

Michael

I do not know if his "piece" has substance or not, as for me it's the commentators who stole the show (sorry George). They were funny and engaging to read and I read all of the posts in this thread (which I do not normally do in threads, I read selectively), while I did not see the point in reading George's piece until the end as I felt it would get me nowhere.

Yes, I agree, the writing form should be adjusted to the media used and the audience. For instance one form may work in theater or film setting but not for message boards (just as an example). And I definitely do not think in this case here the length is the only and main issue, it also looks like he didn't have any vision of what he was about to write or how to structure it (no head and no tail) - matter of coherence, structuring and idea development, not length.

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Repetitive outpouring. Jul 29, 2016

philgoddard wrote:

... if this huge, rambling and repetitive outpouring has nothing to do with sharing his opinions, and something to do with search engine optimisation. There's more of it on his website.

"I would like to point out that it’s not true that I only write such long comments because they are so many words long and I find that that is the best (unverified) way to increase my visibility on Google and online in general."

[Edited at 2016-07-29 12:45 GMT]

This is funny

I do not know if it is repetitive, but he jumps from one poetic image to the other unrelated image like a happy squirrel.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who knows a good translation treatise? I discuss the prospect of writing one

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »