translating bibliography
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:46
German to English
Mar 16, 2005

Hi, I've been looking at the advice given here on bibliographies, but none quite fit this case. I'm translating DE->EN and there are references to Bourdieu's "The Forms of Capital", the German version. It has also been translated into English, but the German title doesn't look much like the English one. Obviously it would be useful for an English reader to know that "The Forms of Capital" is what is being referred to, it being well-known, so should I also add the English title after the German o... See more
Hi, I've been looking at the advice given here on bibliographies, but none quite fit this case. I'm translating DE->EN and there are references to Bourdieu's "The Forms of Capital", the German version. It has also been translated into English, but the German title doesn't look much like the English one. Obviously it would be useful for an English reader to know that "The Forms of Capital" is what is being referred to, it being well-known, so should I also add the English title after the German one in the bibliography? It was originally written in French, so is the German title even relevant for an English-speaking reader?Collapse

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Give the English title when it exists Mar 16, 2005

Anne_K wrote:

Hi, I've been looking at the advice given here on bibliographies, but none quite fit this case. I'm translating DE->EN and there are references to Bourdieu's "The Forms of Capital", the German version. It has also been translated into English, but the German title doesn't look much like the English one. Obviously it would be useful for an English reader to know that "The Forms of Capital" is what is being referred to, it being well-known, so should I also add the English title after the German one in the bibliography? It was originally written in French, so is the German title even relevant for an English-speaking reader?

Hi, Anne!

I would definitely discuss the issue with the client. I would propose

1.) Giving the English title of all the books that exist in English; for your audience books in English are probably more easily accessible than in another language

2.) If (and only if) there is no English translation, I would give the original title - which needs some research in case the text had been translated into German (but not into English) from another language. (If the original was written in a non-latin-character language, you might have a hard time; the title may need transcription - even if it is already transcribed into German, you might need a different transcription).

3.) Sometimes, especially when it comes to textbooks, the bibliography contains another part: a list of books relevant to the subject matter that are available in the target language. You might want to create this yourself - but in this case the details should be discussed with the client beforehand.

HTH,
Attila

mstkwasa
mstkwasa
Local time: 15:46
English to Japanese
+ ...
It is a complicated story. Mar 17, 2005

After a bit of Google research, it seem that this particular article was written orignially in 1983 in German: "Ökonomisches Kapital, kulturelles Kapital, soziales Kapital" in Reinhard Kreckel (ed), Soziale Ungleichheiten (Soziale Welt, Sonderheft 2), (Goettingen, 1983) 183-98. This article was in turn translated into English by Richard Nice and appears in John G. Richardson (ed), Handbook of Theory and Research in the Sociology of Education (New York, 1986).

So it se
... See more
After a bit of Google research, it seem that this particular article was written orignially in 1983 in German: "Ökonomisches Kapital, kulturelles Kapital, soziales Kapital" in Reinhard Kreckel (ed), Soziale Ungleichheiten (Soziale Welt, Sonderheft 2), (Goettingen, 1983) 183-98. This article was in turn translated into English by Richard Nice and appears in John G. Richardson (ed), Handbook of Theory and Research in the Sociology of Education (New York, 1986).

So it seems most appropriate to put it in the bibliography - following your style - as:
Pierre Bordieu, "Ökonomisches Kapital, kulturelles Kapital, soziales Kapital" in Reinhard Kreckel (ed), Soziale Ungleichheiten (Soziale Welt, Sonderheft 2), (Goettingen, 1983) 183-98. [Translated into English: "The Form of Capital", Richard Nice (tr), in John G. Richardson (ed), Handbook of Theory and Research in the Sociology of Education (New York, 1986) 241-258]

The article in German must be present in the bibliography and footnotes, since that version is what the author had consulted.

See: http://www.viet-studies.org/Bourdieu_capital.htm
Collapse

Carmen Cuervo-Arango
Carmen Cuervo-Arango  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with Attila: it is better to ask the client Mar 17, 2005

I agree with Attila. Some clients prefer not to have the bibliography translated (and not to get charged by it), some others prefer having both versions, if they exist, and some want to have only the translated titles, that is, the ones that have really been published in that target language.

I was just about to contact my client for that purpose as well

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks! Mar 18, 2005

mstkwasa wrote:

After a bit of Google research, it seem that this particular article was written orignially in 1983 in German: "Ökonomisches Kapital, kulturelles Kapital, soziales Kapital" in Reinhard Kreckel (ed), Soziale Ungleichheiten (Soziale Welt, Sonderheft 2), (Goettingen, 1983) 183-98. This article was in turn translated into English by Richard Nice

Well, the original was "Les Trois états du capital culturel" in Actes de la Recherche en Sciences Sociales, 30 (1979). The English one may have been translated from the German, though, just to be more confusing.

I'm going to see what the client thinks, but this advice has been very useful, thanks.

Richard Nice
Richard Nice  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
French to English
If you'd asked me... Dec 1, 2006

If you'd asked me I could have told you, I only translate from French!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating bibliography

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »