Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Spelling the names of British organisations in U.S. English document?
Thread poster: Mark Sanderson
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:07
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Explanation Aug 4, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

It is like asking whether in another country should you change the spelling of your name to suit the speaking convenience of the host country people. The spelling of your name remains as it is wherever you go.

That's a simplistic view of what would be nice. It wasn't until I left the UK and began teaching adults in France that I learnt that, to them, Bach's first name is Jean rather than Johann, and Leonardo da Vinci is Léonard de Vince (if I've got that right).

If the name is being translated, then that is a different issue altogether. You will of course use what is commonly used in the source language. For example, the "India" of English becomes "Bharat" (written in devnagari, ie भारत) in the Hindi document.

But here we are talking about how the actual English name of an organisation is written in another dialect of English. In such cases, I think there can be no confusion that we should follow how the organisation itself spells its name in English, even if that doesn't confirm with the accepted spelling rules of the target English dialect.

Things can get more complicated in unrelated languages, but in the case of two barely varying dialects of English (or dialects of any other language), there should hardly be any confusion regarding this matter.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:37
English to Thai
+ ...
Arbitration Oct 13, 2016

Mark Sanderson wrote:

Hello,

I’m currently working on a document which refers to the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre and uses the British English spelling of ‘centre’. However, the client has requested U.S. English. Does this mean that I need to change the name to ‘Center’ so that it is applicable to a U.S. audience? Or, do I leave it as it is because ‘centre’ is the official name which is used on the organisation’s website here: http://www.hkiac.org/about-us

International arbitration treaties demand context based wording. UK or US English shall convey same meanings if discussed in respective culture, won't it?

Soonthon L.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Spelling the names of British organisations in U.S. English document?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »