Mobile menu

Which software to use for word counts?
Thread poster: Susanne_A
Susanne_A
English
Apr 13, 2005

We need a lot help systems translated which are all .html files. We tried using Practicount to get the word count but that isn't really working too well because our help developers often re-model sentences (they would make just changes to sentences to better the grammar, etc.) which wouldn't show in the Practicount analysis unless they used new words. So changes to .html pages don't appear and give us an inaccurate forecast.

The translators use DejaVu to translate and do their word counts using DejaVu, however I find that this software counts words (like some code) that never get translated, therefore the actual word count is higher than what the translators actual have to translate. (they are using DejaVu vers. 3)

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxTekkie
English to German
+ ...
It's very easy Apr 14, 2005

1. Open the HTML files in Word.
2. Save them as .txt files. (This strips all standard HTML tags.)
3. Use a CAT tool to analyze the .txt files (i.e., count the words against the contents of a TM).
4. Voilà, you get the word count of all changes (i.e., words that aren't yet contained in the TM).

Susanne_A
English
TOPIC STARTER
Which software to use for word counts? Apr 14, 2005

Tekkie wrote:

1. Open the HTML files in Word.
2. Save them as .txt files. (This strips all standard HTML tags.)
3. Use a CAT tool to analyze the .txt files (i.e., count the words against the contents of a TM).
4. Voilà, you get the word count of all changes (i.e., words that aren't yet contained in the TM).

Thanks for the suggestion. The only problem I see is, in our case, we have approx. 4,000 html files so it would be VERY time consuming to save each file in .txt format and then analyze each of them.

Susanne

Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:02
German to English
+ ...
WebBudget? Apr 14, 2005

Maybe this would work:
http://www.webbudget.com/
I use FreeBudget, so can't speak directly about WebBudget, but it looks like it might have what you need.

xxxTekkie
English to German
+ ...
Merge the files first Apr 15, 2005

Susanne_A wrote:

The only problem I see is, in our case, we have approx. 4,000 html files so it would be VERY time consuming to save each file in .txt format and then analyze each of them.

First, merge all relevant files into one. You'll find text merge software here:

http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q="merge%20text%20software"%20windows&btnG=Search

Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:02
English to French
+ ...
Trados: Analyse Apr 22, 2005

I usually use Trados to count words, at least it doesn't take into account the html tags.

The main drawback is that it produces a log file that you need to import in Excel to have a decent report. I never managed that part though.

Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 21:02
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Word count in Cafetran Apr 23, 2005

You may try Cafetran's word count. It counts words in html files in the work flow.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which software to use for word counts?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs