Is a CD copy necessary when buying Trados?
Thread poster: Lin Yang
Lin Yang
Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:37
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 26, 2005

Urgent, waiting online. Hello, everyone. I am about to purchase the Trados. But a little hesitated on whether to have a CD copy after I download the software online. I thought the CD would make it easy to reinstall if anything happens to my computer. But the cost will be 150 USD more for adding it. So, I am still deciding. Any suggestion? Should I spend 150 USD for the CD copy? Or just go with the download?

Thanks in advance.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:37
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Burn it Apr 26, 2005

Just download the file and burn it on your own CD-R. Trados is updated quite often, so the printed CD would be outdated soon anyway.

You can download Trados again whenever you need. What you need to look after is your softkey license or dongle.

Lin Yang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much, Hynek. Apr 26, 2005

This is exactly what I need to know. And what do you mean I should look after my softkey and dangle? anthing I should keep in mind particularly? At the same time, I will have access to these relevent and important info after I purchase the software, right?
Again, thanks for your kindly help.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
French to English
+ ...
no dongle any more Apr 26, 2005

gladbeach wrote:

This is exactly what I need to know. And what do you mean I should look after my softkey and dangle? anthing I should keep in mind particularly? At the same time, I will have access to these relevent and important info after I purchase the software, right?
Again, thanks for your kindly help.

Hi Gladbeach,

Just make sure you keep any information Trados sends you - codes, etc. - if anything happens to your computer, and you still have the codes, you can download Trados again.

There used to be a hardware 'dongle' (a USB device I think) that they'd send you in order for the software to work, but they don't do this any more.

regards
Angela
(participated in the Group Buy this week!)

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 03:37
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Dongle Apr 26, 2005

It's exactly as Angela says. Dongle is a small USB device acting as a hardware key. Recently, sofkey licensing was introduced and the dongle was replaced with license files (software keys). More information:
http://www.translationzone.com/sublink.asp?ID=641

Loosing the dongle was bad, because no replacement was possible. I don't know what happens if you accidentally de
... See more
It's exactly as Angela says. Dongle is a small USB device acting as a hardware key. Recently, sofkey licensing was introduced and the dongle was replaced with license files (software keys). More information:
http://www.translationzone.com/sublink.asp?ID=641

Loosing the dongle was bad, because no replacement was possible. I don't know what happens if you accidentally delete the license file - maybe somebody will explain.
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
You can download again Apr 26, 2005

I just got a new laptop so rather than transferring the files I donwloaded them again. Just keep the details so you can access the download files.

Lin Yang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thans, everyone. Really appreciate. Apr 26, 2005

I guess I will just get the download version. Is it true that you will not have access to the download file until two days after you pay?

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
depends Apr 26, 2005

gladbeach wrote:

I guess I will just get the download version. Is it true that you will not have access to the download file until two days after you pay?

It depends how long your payment takes to clear - I paid yesterday and was able to download this morning.

Lin Yang
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thx, Angela. Apr 26, 2005

So you got it from the group buy yesterday? I missed it by hours. Have you tried it yet? Do you like it?

Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
I have one Trados Freelance 6.5 for sale right now, English/Spanish May 9, 2005

gladbeach wrote:

Urgent, waiting online. Hello, everyone. I am about to purchase the Trados. But a little hesitated on whether to have a CD copy after I download the software online. I thought the CD would make it easy to reinstall if anything happens to my computer. But the cost will be 150 USD more for adding it. So, I am still deciding. Any suggestion? Should I spend 150 USD for the CD copy? Or just go with the download?

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2005-05-09 18:23]

Sonia Maldonado
Sonia Maldonado  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you did not buy your Trados yet, I have one for sale right now May 9, 2005

gladbeach wrote:

Thanks in advance.

I have a Trados 6.5 for sale with dongle, 2 CD and tech support contract for 8 more months and a a large manual

Alvin Liu
Alvin Liu  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 09:37
Member (2007)
English to Chinese
+ ...
USB? May 30, 2005

Hynek Palatin wrote:
Dongle is a small USB device acting as a hardware key.

Is there a USB dongle?
my dongle is attached to my PC's parallel port, so it is not a USB device.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a CD copy necessary when buying Trados?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »