Mobile menu

Google Translator: the Universal Language
Thread poster: Barnaby Capel-Dunn
Barnaby Capel-Dunn  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:07
French to English
May 23, 2005

A very interesting - and somewhat alarming - article. Interested to know what you think.

Barnaby

http://blog.outer-court.com/archive/2005-05-22-n83.html

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:07
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not Afraid May 23, 2005

I'm not afraid of becoming unemployed any time soon.

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
I'll be impressed when it starts asking KudoZ questions May 23, 2005

Sure, the approach they are taking is fine. It is currently used by many translators who then combine the information into inappropriate translations.

Of course, these people get paid for it, too.

Timothy Barton
Local time: 20:07
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Yes, it is alarming... May 23, 2005

It is alarming that people might be stupid enough to rely on a computer to translate for them. People would get completely misunderstood due to all the mistakes the machine would make. n as 4 instant msngr translations i cant even understand what mny english spkrs rite in their messagin so i dunno how a machines sposed to cope.

Every week we get someone on the forum telling us our jobs are in danger because automated translation is getting better. Well I'm not scared either. I know I will always translate better than any machine will ever do.

[Edited at 2005-05-24 10:28]

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:07
Japanese to English
+ ...
What is alarming is not the quality of machine translation... May 24, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:

It is alarming that people might be stupid enough to rely on a computer to translate for them. People would get completely misunderstood due to all the mistakes the machine would make. n as 4 instant msngr translations i cant even understand what mny english spkrs rite in their messagin so i dunno how a machines sposed to cope.

Every week we get someone on the forum telling us our jobs are in denger because automated translation is getting better. Well I'm not scared either. I know I will always translate better than any machine will ever do.

...but the quality of HUMAN translation and the sense by clients that they may as well go with machines, because the translations they get from people are not really good. Now we all know that if they pay decently, use due diligence and pick competent people, this would not be the case, but too many clients are interested in paying next to nothing, and then they get lousy results, and then,,,

Michael Bastin  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
+ ...
Laughing out loud May 25, 2005

but I wouldn't be surprised to see major improvements in machine translation in the next couple of years.

This may not endanger our profession, but so many more John Doe will adopt this system to understand what a foreign language website is all about.

When you learn to write for machine translation, the result can be astonishing. It is never publishable but people understand the text and that's what matters to them.

Now, we can only hope as professional translators for better CAT tools to improve our quality AND productivity. More and more jobs I am afraid will be reserved to translators who are willing, and who can, manage such tools.

This is like the counter-attack of one technology against another.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Learning by example May 25, 2005

Barnaby Capel-Dunn wrote:
A very interesting - and somewhat alarming - article. Interested to know what you think.

I fail to see what is alarming about it. What I do find interesting is that if you read between the lines, it would appear that this translator would learn (or supplement its learning) by indexing vast corpuses of text. Interestingly, grammar checkers are also created not by manual design but through comparison of large corpuses.

I wish them luck... there is definitely a need for quick translation of information.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Google Translator: the Universal Language

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs