Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:20
Member (2004)
English to French
May 26, 2005

(I'm not sure this is the right forum, feel free to put my message somewhere else if there's a better category for it)

Last night, at 1:30 AM, I finished an assignment (2k words in an evening from 7PM to 1:30). It's the latest I've been to bed when taking freelance assignments (usually it's no later than 10PM). Note that I work as an in-house translator during the day, so I have trouble keeping my eyes open.

Nina

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:20
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Very late May 26, 2005

Until it's finished.

Regards,
Gerard

mónica alfonso
mónica alfonso  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
As late as necessary May 26, 2005

in order to accomplish the agreed deadline.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:20
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Never late May 26, 2005

When I agree on a deadline I make sure there is enough additional time so I don't have to say no to other customers. I noticed I'm most productive from 8 to 12 in the morning, afternoons are weary already.
ON larger projects I'm rather nervous in the beginning because I fear I cannot do it in time, but mostly I get finnished very early.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:20
German to English
+ ...
Well...pretty late May 26, 2005

The other night it was 4am, but that was because my husband was sick, so I had to take care of our daughter during the day and then put in a full workday after dinner. Sometimes it just happens - usually when our daily schedule gets thrown out of whack like that.

Normally I quit around 5-6pm.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
It depends May 26, 2005

and can vary. This includes any time between 0 and 23:59
Usually something between midnight and 1 am, when deadline is tight even until 4 am or longer, sometimes without sleep...
But this is not a good sign - one should be able to organise time, so that such situations do not occur.

Cheers
Jerzy

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
How late do you stay up to finish an assignement May 26, 2005

Just last night I finished at 2am, was up most of the remaining night to look after my sick three year old daughter, and was up at 6 am to get the project finished by 10 am. Now I am already working on the next one.
I try not to do that, it is not fair to my family. But you cannot say no to a client - he will go somewhere else. So you end up waisting your life in front of PC. And for some sick reason enjoy it as well.

Cheers,
Burrell

Monica Colangelo
Monica Colangelo  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 13:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
As late as necessary May 26, 2005

Two weeks ago I worked sixty hours in a row.
If you are the kind of person who needs a good night's rest to keep going, then maybe you should consider what's best for you: whether to go on as an in-house translator or to go freelance.
I only work as a freelancer... (And in my spare time I am the single mother of three, the cook, the maid, the parent who attends school meetings and takes her kids to the doctor's office, etc...).

Ioana Costache
Ioana Costache  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2007)
English to Romanian
+ ...
As long as it takes May 26, 2005

The last time I went without sleep because of a long and (obviously) urgent assignment, I ended up in hospital, getting adrenalin shots. I'd been sleeping 2/24 for 5 days. But I delivered on time Interestingly enough, this didn't seem to affect the quality of my translation, as the proofreader confirmed; I guess my brain was on autopilot. My heart wasn't.

Don't do this at home...
See more
The last time I went without sleep because of a long and (obviously) urgent assignment, I ended up in hospital, getting adrenalin shots. I'd been sleeping 2/24 for 5 days. But I delivered on time Interestingly enough, this didn't seem to affect the quality of my translation, as the proofreader confirmed; I guess my brain was on autopilot. My heart wasn't.

Don't do this at home
Collapse

Lesley Clarke
Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 10:20
Spanish to English
I prefer the mornings May 26, 2005

I'll often get up at 4 am and sometimes earlier to finish an assignment, my brain goes dead at night.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I happened to work 24 hours withour break once... May 26, 2005

... but I was much younger then. I also finished a job at 6 a.m lately (I woke up at 8 am as usual and was just going to bed, when I got an unexpected, supposedly very important job around midnight).

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
the early bird gets the worm May 26, 2005

Lesley Clarke wrote:

I'll often get up at 4 am and sometimes earlier to finish an assignment, my brain goes dead at night.

Me too! I prefer to stop before 11:30 pm, sleep at least 2 hours and start somewhere after 1:00 am. Feels much better than stay up. But better sleep the whole night between 11:30 pm and 5:30 am or so.

Jeremy Smith
Jeremy Smith  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:20
Member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Thank goodness I'm not the only one May 26, 2005

I've been known to do the occasional all-nighter, and often end up working late. This is more to do with poor time management on my part though. I'm single and live alone, so it doesn't affect anyone else - but of course it's better for your health to get regular, decent sleeping hours.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
The early worm gets caught May 26, 2005

If working long hours is a regular occurrence, you're either not educating your clients properly, or not charging enough. Or both.

Marc

[Edited at 2005-05-26 17:48]

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
Late, late working hours... May 26, 2005

... but I also prefer working at night myself. Much more peaceful, no phone calls, no loads of emails to respond *ASAP* to

And I gotta say that staying up till sunrise makes me appreciate spring and summer mornings... and then I get to hear that special lullaby from birds.

Thanks for the question!

Seadeta

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Out of curiosity... How late do you stay up to finish an assignement

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »