What do you listen to when translating?
Thread poster: Gillian Searl

Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:37
Member (2004)
German to English
May 27, 2005

Having just seen the "How long do you stay up" thread I was interested by the comments of different things people listen to/have in the background when translating.

As for me, I can't listen to anything with speech, no matter the language. I love soft music though, any type but as soon as speech kicks in I can't concentrate any more.

Just curious ...
Gillian

Direct link Reply with quote

giogi
Local time: 21:37
well... May 27, 2005

The sound of silence... is the only thing I can listen to!!!!
Have a great weekend
Giovanna

Derek Gill Franßen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:37
German to English
+ ...
Interesting question May 27, 2005

It kind of depends on my mood, but I often like listening to a bit harder and faster music while translating; it pumps me up and - at least subjectively - speeds up my translating (and probably because I can't listen to that kind of music in my law firm).

[Edited at 2005-05-27 16:20]

xxxLia Fail  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Interesting Q! May 27, 2005

I can't listen to anything I might enjoy, as it distracts me terribly. So I don't listen to CDs (cos I start singing), or radio chats (I try, but when it gets interesting I switch off, or stop translating if I can)...

Believe it or not, what I find most comfortable as background noise is c**** TV, as happens in Spain after 4pm: they are talking such junk that it really doesn't bother me.

Iza Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
Nothing really May 27, 2005

I used to listen to my favourite radio station, but a few years ago found it useless - I do not actually hear anything when concentrating, so why bother? Electricity bills went down a bit.

patrick32  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Van The Man does it for me May 27, 2005

Have you listened to his latest album Magic Time? absolutely fantastic, he never fails. Seems to exceed himself every year!. A mixture of rock & roll, jazz, blues, big band, swing. Highly recommended!!

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:37
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
Easy listening, classical May 27, 2005

Ailish Maher wrote:
I can't listen to anything I might enjoy, as it distracts me terribly. So I don't listen to CDs (cos I start singing),

Same here! I love Latin music, but I immediately start singing and cannot concentrate.
I can only listen to classical music (not any piece though; imagine translating while listening to the Flight of the Bumble Bee!), or "new age", and if I don't like it much, that's even better! My favorite classical music piece is Beethoven's "Pour un sou perdu" or "Rage over a lost penny". Whenever I listen to it I start imagining myself playing it, which is something that I've tried to do for many years but failed. It's extremely difficult to play.
That's why I said that it can't be a piece that I really like
If I'm really stressed and have a very tight deadline I can't listen to anything at all. Any sound bothers me.
Maria

Elodie Rousseau
Mexico
Local time: 14:37
English to French
+ ...
relaxing new age type music May 27, 2005

I know it sounds weird, but it helps me to focus on what I'm doing and since it's just music, I'm not distracted by the words. It also has a destressing effect, when I start to panic when deadline is crazy and/or I don't understand anything to the text, etc.
I also put some aromatherapic "anti-stress" oil in hot water in the room and I can work non-stop for hours!! Plus, it smells good!
Elodie

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Silence is Best May 27, 2005

At times I have to put up with anything and I do, but I prefer silence. I did not study with music on when I was in school either.

Michele Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Clearly getting old :( May 27, 2005

I must be getting old, because in addition to not tolerating coffee very well in the afternoon, I cannot really listen to any kind of music while translating. The distant soundtrack of the city (streetcars, people, birds, etc) is what I prefer.

Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
+ ...
Classical or jazz May 27, 2005

Right now, I'm listening to the complete tone poems of Liszt.

I put on 4 or 5 CDs on the carousel. Oscar Peterson, Monk, earlier Miles Davis, Brubeck, Haydn, Mozart, Dvorak, Schubert, contemporaries of Mozart...

I prefer not to have anything with words, that distracts me.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Complete silence does it for me. May 27, 2005

I used to study while listening to music, TV, radio, and would argue a lot with my mother about it becuase my grades were excellent and she should have understood that it did not affect me. However, I now find myself arguing with my daughter trying to tell me about her day and I trying to shut her off, as I cannot concentrate. I do not listen to anything. Complete silence does it for me.

ntext  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:37
Partial member
German to English
+ ...
Just the usual voices ... May 27, 2005

... in my head.

Marie-Céline GEORG  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Classical music most of the time May 27, 2005

I'm listening to classical music mainly, usually with no vocals because I often start to sing along, but no always. I'm in a choir where we're currently learning an oratorio by Mendelssohn so I often put the CD as background music and I found out that it was a way of learning without really working on it.
Sometimes I can also "watch" TV - I should say listen to it because I'm not really looking at the screen - but that's only when I'm doing things such as administrative work, reading my e-mails, etc. at the beginning of the afternoon: at that time I usually find myself most unefficient at translation (slow, not finding words...) so it no use trying to concentration on serious work except when there's a tight deadline!

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
Modern Jazz May 27, 2005

But only during the breaks, while translating I prefer absolute silence. Rgds, Brandis

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you listen to when translating?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs