Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Who talks to themselves when translating?
Thread poster: Edward Potter
George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 05:23
Swedish to English
Quality Assurance Apr 15, 2010

David writes:
Professional pride demands we turn in work as well finished as possible. Even so, I often wonder how realistic it is to demand that copy is typo free, especially at the rates and deadlines we get most of the time. Checking the text should be part of an agency's service. This QA can relieve the translator of a great deal of stress: we are ever insecure that a typo or two remains.

One agency in Stocholm objected to the 'quality' of a translation of mine, saying tha
... See more
David writes:
Professional pride demands we turn in work as well finished as possible. Even so, I often wonder how realistic it is to demand that copy is typo free, especially at the rates and deadlines we get most of the time. Checking the text should be part of an agency's service. This QA can relieve the translator of a great deal of stress: we are ever insecure that a typo or two remains.

One agency in Stocholm objected to the 'quality' of a translation of mine, saying that their customer had rejected it, and sent me what thay called a translation of the source text made by someone else. However, it was really a complete rewrite of the source text and contained serious faults.
I requested a copy of my translation with any errors clearly marked.
The agency wrote back saying that it does not proof-read translations. Can you believe it?

The agency's web site states clearly in Swedish and in English that all translations are checked before being forwarded to the customer.

The Quality Assurance that David refers to is rare.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Who talks to themselves when translating?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »