Quality vs. quantity - instructions on how to organize an international tender
Thread poster: Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Oct 10, 2001

What follows are practical instructions on how to organize an international tender. The matter is so embarrassing that I\'d rather talk about it in Polish. Feel free to reply either in Polish or in English.

Zupe³nie przypadkowo wzi¹³em ostatnio pod lupê t³umaczenie na j. angielski warunków przetargu, które to warunki, jak rozumiem za wiele tysiêcy dolarów sztuka, pañstwo polskie udostêpnia³o stoj¹cym w kolejce z gigantycznymi pieniêdzmi zagranicznym inwestorom
... See more
What follows are practical instructions on how to organize an international tender. The matter is so embarrassing that I\'d rather talk about it in Polish. Feel free to reply either in Polish or in English.

Zupe³nie przypadkowo wzi¹³em ostatnio pod lupê t³umaczenie na j. angielski warunków przetargu, które to warunki, jak rozumiem za wiele tysiêcy dolarów sztuka, pañstwo polskie udostêpnia³o stoj¹cym w kolejce z gigantycznymi pieniêdzmi zagranicznym inwestorom.

Powiedzieæ, ¿e t³umaczenie roi siê od b³êdów to ma³o. Jest to po prostu be³kot pijanego studenta z ³apanki, którego jakaœ agencja posadzi³a do nocnej pracy (niech zgadnê: parê piwek za stronê?).

Oto kilka przyk³adów:

W rozumieniu art. 7 Ustawy o spó³kach z udzia³em zagranicznym za zale¿n¹ uwa¿a siê osobê prawn¹ … = In the meaning of Art.7 and the act on joint-stock companies with foreign shares the legal entity is recognized as conditioned …

posiada wiêkszoœæ g³osów…, tak¿e na podstawie porozumieñ z innymi wspólnikami =

has a majority in the general meeting, as well as an agreement with another shareholder

jest uprawniony do powo³ywania albo odwo³ywania wiêkszoœci cz³onków organów zarz¹dzaj¹cych = has rights to appoint or recall the major management members

gdy wiêcej ni¿ po³owa cz³onków zarz¹du tej osoby jest jednoczeœnie cz³onkami zarz¹du albo osobami pe³ni¹cymi funkcje kierownicze podmiotu zagranicznego lub innego podmiotu, pozostaj¹cego z podmiotem zagranicznym w stosunku zale¿noœci=

when more than 50% of its management members participate at the same time in the other management committee connected to the foreign shareholders

Nale¿y przy tym zaznaczyæ, ¿e zgodnie z Art. 7 Ustawy o spó³kach z udzia³em zagranicznym osobê prawn¹ z siedzib¹ na terytorium Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej zale¿n¹ od podmiotów zagranicznych uwa¿a siê za podmiot zagraniczny i obowi¹zuj¹ j¹ wymogi okreœlone w art. 4-6 tej ustawy co do uzyskiwania koncesji i zezwoleñ =

Here it has to be mentioned, that according to art.7 of the law regarding corporations with a foreign share holding, a legal representative with headquarters in the territory of the Republic of Poland depending of a foreign entity, is considered as a foreign entity and is under the requirements described in art. 4-6 of this Law regarding license and pernit acquisition

Ustawa o ³¹cznoœci w art. 19 stwierdza, ¿e nabycie lub posiadanie akcji przez podmiot zale¿ny = The Communications law confirms in art. 19 that buying or possessing shares by a depending entity

Prawo o publicznym obrocie papierami wartoœciowymi =

The law about public turnover with value papers

To, ¿e delikwent jest z ³apanki widaæ go³ym okiem, to ¿e jest pijany widaæ chocia¿by wtedy, gdy w odstêpie paru zdañ pisze o tym samym:

the act on joint-stock companies with foreign shares / conditioned entity

oraz

the law regarding corporations with a foreign share holding / depending entity

Ale pocieszmy siê: nigdy nie jest tak źle, żeby nie mogło byæ gorzej!

Jacek Krankowski

P.S. Za \"studenta\" przepraszam, ale w œrodowisku i tak mówi siê która agencja, za ile i kogo sadza do t³umaczeñ, aby wygraæ rzadowy przetarg.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-10 08:42 ]
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:15
French to English
Help with understanding your posting Oct 12, 2001

Good morning,

I\'m afraid I do not understand what your posting is about. I am intruiged. Could you summarize it?

Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Summary Oct 12, 2001

I am sorry Nikki and others about the unintentional suspense!

My story illustrates the quality you get when you organize a major international telecom tender while paying an agency for the translation of the documentation what probably amounted to $0.02/wd. So what? Investors flocked in anyhow and their 400-dollars-per-hour lawyers straightened everything out.

My point is obvious: paying the translator a few extra bucks may take several hours off your legal bills.
<
... See more
I am sorry Nikki and others about the unintentional suspense!

My story illustrates the quality you get when you organize a major international telecom tender while paying an agency for the translation of the documentation what probably amounted to $0.02/wd. So what? Investors flocked in anyhow and their 400-dollars-per-hour lawyers straightened everything out.

My point is obvious: paying the translator a few extra bucks may take several hours off your legal bills.

If you look at my original message and skip all the Polish text, you will be able to identify a few examples of the kind of English you may be getting when you select the $0.02/wd bid, although it would be much better (and funnier) if you understood what the Polish original said.

Jacek
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality vs. quantity - instructions on how to organize an international tender

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »