https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/35054-how_many_strokes_characters_comprise_a_word.html

How many strokes, characters comprise a word
Thread poster: Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 07:14
English to German
+ ...
Jul 25, 2005

Hi! I am confronted with this trouble. Normally we quote 55 strokes a line (comprising empty spaces and symbols etc., ) but is there a calculation basis for a word as well. Shall appreciate all help.Rgds, Brandis
ps. Problems are always stupid and I have one here. I was sent a pre-translated document and now the customer wants to know how much of source I did actually translate. The document is about 60 pages, despite using a word / character counting software, I am unable to get the actua
... See more
Hi! I am confronted with this trouble. Normally we quote 55 strokes a line (comprising empty spaces and symbols etc., ) but is there a calculation basis for a word as well. Shall appreciate all help.Rgds, Brandis
ps. Problems are always stupid and I have one here. I was sent a pre-translated document and now the customer wants to know how much of source I did actually translate. The document is about 60 pages, despite using a word / character counting software, I am unable to get the actual number of strokes used, to be able to charge at standard line of 55 strokes.

[Edited at 2005-07-25 15:12]
Collapse

Kurt Porter
Kurt Porter  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Page Count Jul 25, 2005

Brandis,

I've usually worked in page counts: 1500 strokes = a page. Some clients want to go 1650, others 1800. That is all characters to include punctuation (using the tool for word count in word) Of course,you need to determine if the page count is going to be for the target language or the source.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Easy with a CAT Jul 25, 2005

For example, with Trados.

If you make a analysis, you will see at the end something like this:

Chars/Word 6.65
Chars Total 412,688

That means a standard word in this project is 7.65 (6,65 + space)
The rest is simple arithmetic

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-07-25 15:23]

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it gets a bit deeper Jul 25, 2005

Toledo wrote:

For example, with Trados.

If you make a analysis, you will see at the end something like this:

Chars/Word 6.65
Chars Total 412,688

That means a standard word in this project is 7.65 (6,65 + space)
The rest is simple arithmetic

Rgds

Toledo

[Edited at 2005-07-25 15:23]
HI Toledo, I know this analysis, but the 60 pages translation is partly done by another translator already and I was given the rest, which is to say on page one 2 paragraphs and distributed and on page 2 few sentences in the middle etc., Now if I take trados type of analysis,my local TM would be influencing the statistics, and I still do not get how much of the content I have actually translated. How to fix this? Thank you for the above formula, I am aware of that. Brandis

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
How about Jul 25, 2005

a export filter by created date/hour + changed date/hour.

or using the > and < symbols to select a determinated period

Rgds

Fernando Toledo
Spain
German to Spanish
A TM for each client/projet Jul 25, 2005

Brandis wrote:

Now if I take trados type of analysis,my local TM would be influencing the statistics,
Brandis

This is one of the reasons I create a new TM for each client, with projects and filter settings.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Export filter Jul 25, 2005

Toledo wrote:

a export filter by created date/hour + changed date/hour.

or using the > and < symbols to select a determinated period

Rgds

Hi! This is interesting, I could take pre and post translation recording. I havenĀ“t tried this yet, but let us see whether it gives accurate results. Thank you Toledo. Brandis

craigs
craigs
Local time: 01:14
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Another trick w/OpenOffice.org Jul 26, 2005

Opening a word or rtf document with OpenOffice, you can go to "File" ==> "Properties" and it will give the number of characters, as well as actual grammatical words.

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:14
German to English
+ ...
Using Word to count part of text Jul 31, 2005

craigs wrote:

Opening a word or rtf document with OpenOffice, you can go to "File" ==> "Properties" and it will give the number of characters, as well as actual grammatical words.

I'm not sure if I correctly understand the problem. It seems to be that you want to know how big is the part of the document that you translated.

I use Microsoft Word for this kind of counting like this:
If no text is selected in a document, the "word count" function (in the tools menu) gives the word and character counts for the whole document (but, I think, excluding text boxes and footnotes).

If you select some text, the same "word count" function gives you the word and character count for the selected text.

For counting the text in a table: This works if you select whole rows (mouse on the left). If you select other parts of a table or select by colums, the word-count function counts the whole document.

Oliver

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
what about the name in TM... Aug 4, 2005

Hi! This is interesting, I could take pre and post translation recording...

... or you could just filter for your name in the TM.

smo

[Edited at 2005-08-04 19:14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How many strokes, characters comprise a word

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »