Find parallel texts using Google
Thread poster: Kim Metzger

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:47
German to English
Jul 28, 2005

I just came across this site and haven't been able to figure out how to use it. Can anyone explain what this is all about and how to use it effectively?

http://www.multilingual.ch/search_interfaces.htm

I also just discovered this explanation:

http://web.ticino.com/multilingual/Help_find_parallel_texts_using_google_extended_help.htm

[Edited at 2005-07-28 16:10]

Direct link Reply with quote

RobinB  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:47
German to English
Neat tool Jul 28, 2005

Hi Kim,

A neat tool, thanks for posting it. Now we just have to work out how to flip the language directions (presumably by rearranging the order of the Google attributes).

Click Help to get dead simple instructions on how to search for bilingual websites (or websites with bilingual links) containing your search key. To give it a try, just enter "financial instruments" for EN-DE and see what happens.

Robin

Andrea Re  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:47
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Jul 28, 2005

looks cool!!!
Saved into my favourites straight away. Now I have to work out how to use it:(

Terry Gilman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:47
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Just what I need into German at the moment Jul 28, 2005

Thanks a lot, Kim.

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 23:47
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Find parallel texts using Google Jul 28, 2005

RobinB wrote:

Click Help to get dead simple instructions on how to search for bilingual websites (or websites with bilingual links) containing your search key. To give it a try, just enter "financial instruments" for EN-DE and see what happens.

Robin

Hi Robin, so it finds bilingual sites! In other words, direct translations of the source text. I always considered "parallel texts" to mean source and target language texts that deal with the same topic.

[Edited at 2005-07-28 16:23]

Timothy Barton
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
I've been meaning to suggest something similar to some friends.... Jul 28, 2005

who are experts in computing. The only thing I'd like to see added is the possibility to search certain international institutions, such as the EU (inurl: eu.int), the UN, the WHO etc...

JennyC08
Local time: 00:47
German to French
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Jul 28, 2005

I was using that method mainly by consulting the canadian government websites (for English and French translations), but now I can extend it to other languages!
Great!

Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
The html source Jul 31, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:

I just came across this site and haven't been able to figure out how to use it. Can anyone explain what this is all about and how to use it effectively?

http://www.multilingual.ch/search_interfaces.htm

I also just discovered this explanation:

http://web.ticino.com/multilingual/Help_find_parallel_texts_using_google_extended_help.htm

[Edited at 2005-07-28 16:10]

If you want to see the html source code for these searches you can do this (at least in Internet Explorer 6).
In the frame on the right (that contains the list of searches) do a right mouse-click.
In the resulting pop-up menu, select "view source".
This opens the html code in Notepad, and you can save it on your PC and study how it works.
(I was not able to find the URL for this file by looking in the source of the main page, a method that sometimes works when you want to see the definition of the content of a browser frame.)

Oliver

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Find parallel texts using Google

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs