Website Translation
Thread poster: Softlingua (X)
Softlingua (X)
Softlingua (X)
Local time: 07:41
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Aug 4, 2005

One of my client is in need to translate his website in other language, but he want from me is, I have to re-design his existing website in other language, means website look and all graphics and styling will be same but language willbe diffrent, so could anyone plz suggets , how I can save whole website and again transle in same way, that I can giveit to web designer for re designing,(as web designer doesnt know the language)
Thanks in advance

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
Local time: 04:11
English to Danish
Have your client send you the html-file(s) Aug 4, 2005

I believe this should do the trick.
MS Word can edit these files (or if you like PowerPoint), and there should be no problem with the layout.

Softlingua (X)
Softlingua (X)
Local time: 07:41
Norwegian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Website Translation Aug 4, 2005

PCovs wrote:

I believe this should do the trick.
MS Word can edit these files (or if you like PowerPoint), and there should be no problem with the layout.

Client only give me his website link

pcovs
pcovs
Denmark
English to Danish
No problem Aug 4, 2005

Go to the website - click on 'Files' and there should be something called 'Edit with Microsoft Word' or similar; click on this and the website will be opened for editing.
You then edit, save and send back to the client. This ought to keep all layout as the client has put it.

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:11
German to English
+ ...
Download first then use CAT tool Aug 4, 2005

My post on the Italian forum still stands.

http://www.proz.com/post/220285#220285

Nowadays I know a bit more about getting the text out of a Flash site.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Not so easy Aug 4, 2005

PCovs wrote:

Go to the website - click on 'Files' and there should be something called 'Edit with Microsoft Word' or similar; click on this and the website will be opened for editing.
You then edit, save and send back to the client. This ought to keep all layout as the client has put it.

It is not so easy.

The best is you let the Webmaster prepare the files.

Otherwise you will have trouble for sure.

Word is not a good option to work with html and Powerpoint has nothing to do in this.

If you have some experience with Webdesign and the site is simple ,
You can download this site using a webspider and then translate it with a CAT tool.

But to avoid problems, let the webmaster prepare the files to translate (who will pay you if your work can not be used?)

Rgds

Toledo

Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
Not necessarily... Aug 5, 2005

Opening the site for editing in MS word will not work if the site is written in asp or php etc. The easiest way to deal with this if you have no programming experience would be to ask if the designer could send you the source code for each page (and possibly database(s)as well) as a text file that you could then go through and translate and they could then import back into their original editing program. Bear in mind that in many sites much of the text is embedded in image files such as with men... See more
Opening the site for editing in MS word will not work if the site is written in asp or php etc. The easiest way to deal with this if you have no programming experience would be to ask if the designer could send you the source code for each page (and possibly database(s)as well) as a text file that you could then go through and translate and they could then import back into their original editing program. Bear in mind that in many sites much of the text is embedded in image files such as with menus and buttons and would have to be reproduced by the original designer unless you have access to the source files and a suitable editing program.Collapse

Haris Nasibullin
Haris Nasibullin
Local time: 05:11
English to Russian
It is not difficult Aug 5, 2005

Please save the website "as..." and then open it in the NoteBook. You will find the texts, you need to translate. Since you will not change pictures aòâ styles, you will leave the page as if it was originaly made in the same way.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Don't download the files, get if from the client Aug 5, 2005

Softlingua wrote:
One of my client is in need to translate his website in other language ... how I can save whole website and again translate in same way, that I can give it to web designer for redesigning (as web designer doesnt know the language)?

1. Don't download the files yourself. Let the client do it and send you the files in a zip file. This is because it's easy to miss a page or two when you're downloading the pages individually, and because there may be a page that the client didn't intend to be included in the job but which is accessible.

2. A simple program which helps translate web pages, is CatsCradle, which is freeware. If the web site's text is uniform (in other words, a single sentence is in a single font, and not in multiple fonts), then CatsCradle may be your solution.

3. If you're familiar with CAT, you can use it. OmegaT imports HTML straight, but you must make sure there are no hard returns within sentences in the HTML source code. Wordfast can also deal with HTML, but you have to create a tagged document first, and tagged documents can be daunting if this is your first encounter with it. Other CAT tools usually follow the tagged-text method for translating HTML pages.

4. Do not translate a web site if you don't know at least how to create a very basic web site yourself, because if something goes wrong, you'd need to be able to fix it manually.

Some URLs for you:

CatsCradle:
http://www.stormdance.net/software/catscradle/overview.htm

OmegaT:
http://www.omegat.org/omegat/requirements.html
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=68187&package_id=123969&release_id=346951

Wordfast and Plustools:
http://www.wordfast.net/index.php?whichpage=downloadpage

HTML tutorials:
http://www.mantex.co.uk/samples/web-tut.htm

Valery Legotin
Valery Legotin  Identity Verified
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't use Word, use CatsCradle Aug 5, 2005

CatsCradle is a free utility at http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Web_Authoring/HTML_Editors__A-G_/CatsCradle.html

1) Download and install CatsCradle
2) Create a new folder for html files of the web site to be translated on your desktop
3) Open main page of the web site in Internet Explorer
4) Save (File-Save as) opened pa
... See more
CatsCradle is a free utility at http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Web_Authoring/HTML_Editors__A-G_/CatsCradle.html

1) Download and install CatsCradle
2) Create a new folder for html files of the web site to be translated on your desktop
3) Open main page of the web site in Internet Explorer
4) Save (File-Save as) opened page to your local folder (the one you created.
5) Translate in CatsCradle
6) The same for other website pages.
7) Send the resulting html files to the client

HTH

Valery
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Trados Tageditor should do Aug 5, 2005

Hi! If the website is not done in .php or .asp, I mean it is not database driven website, you can download the clien´t website or even let client send you the website,and start with the first page index.htm or the similar and work through all the folders (serially in order not to lose the track of your progress and if the website is very large, in order to keep a good overview of the work) and that is all. Altenatively a few colleauges also use ultraedit, it is for a certain period free of lice... See more
Hi! If the website is not done in .php or .asp, I mean it is not database driven website, you can download the clien´t website or even let client send you the website,and start with the first page index.htm or the similar and work through all the folders (serially in order not to lose the track of your progress and if the website is very large, in order to keep a good overview of the work) and that is all. Altenatively a few colleauges also use ultraedit, it is for a certain period free of license. Actually the complicated part is maintaining the tags or the string length, here your true skill as a translator would reflect, while you have the possibility to use alternative vocabulary.Best regards, Brandis

[Edited at 2005-08-05 14:09]You can actually also use OpenOffice tools,and process full website, in the word processor,which is ideal for designing webpages also. Brandis

[Edited at 2005-08-15 12:49]
Collapse

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Passwords Aug 5, 2005

Samuel Murray wrote:
Don't download the files yourself. Let the client do it and send you the files in a zip file. This is because it's easy to miss a page or two when you're downloading the pages individually, and because there may be a page that the client didn't intend to be included in the job but which is accessible.

The main problem with downloading from the web (with wget or whichever) may well be password protected sections of the site.

If you've been told to translate the whole site, told it has no passwords on it, have agreed a price for the work with your client and got a contract to do it, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to download it and proceed.

Another free CAT tool, recently published, which can be used to translate HTML pages (just one at a time, I think) is Transolution:

http://transolution.python-hosting.com/

[Edited at 2005-08-05 18:57]

Sandra C.
Sandra C.
France
English to French
+ ...
another idea! Aug 5, 2005

when you have the client's website open, go to the browser menu called "view", then chose "view source".
Copy the whole file (you'll have to do that for each page of the site, from all the links), then paste it into a word processor (MS Word or whatever); make the changes to the text portions, save it and email it to your client. He should then be able to upload it himself.
Best of luck!

Lagom
Lagom  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
This will not necessarily work Aug 5, 2005

Sandra Chiancone wrote:

when you have the client's website open, go to the browser menu called "view", then chose "view source".
Copy the whole file (you'll have to do that for each page of the site, from all the links), then paste it into a word processor (MS Word or whatever); make the changes to the text portions, save it and email it to your client. He should then be able to upload it himself.
Best of luck!

Many of the suggestions that you have been given presume that the site in question is simple HTML and will not work if the site is a database driven design coded for example in .asp or .php, for example follow the instructions quoted above for this page and you will not get very far.

If as it seems you do not have a good knowledge of web design then I suggest that you instead copy and paste the text from the page(s) into a text editor for translation and return it to the client so that the web designer can paste the translated text into the site. You could then get yourself a good teach yourself book or enrol on a course so that the next time you will have no problems translating and localising the site!

Best of luck!

yanfeng
yanfeng
China
Local time: 10:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
Website Translation Aug 6, 2005

use Frontpage

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Website Translation

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »