Thread poster: Stacy Macaulay

Stacy Macaulay
Germany
Local time: 09:29
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2005

I'm completing a large hard-copy translation meaning there is no software source text to translate, instead I have to type the text in.

Since the document is very large and some paragraphs will be repeated probably hundreds of times, I'm wondering if there is a way that Trados can be of use in this scenario.

Is there a way that trados can recognize that I'm starting an identical paragraph and then automatically give me the option insert the paragraph/element/table or whatever it is that is repeating?

So in short: no source text-how to insert recurrent repititions without having to copy and paste from other documents (active suggestion of repeated paragraphs/other elements).

My sincere thanks!

Stacy Macaulay

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use OCR Aug 12, 2005

Is there a way that trados can recognize that I'm starting an identical paragraph and then automatically give me the option insert the paragraph/element/table or whatever it is that is repeating?

No, Trados can't do that. I suggest you use OCR to convert the printed original document to an editable file first. From your description, it will be probably worth the effort.

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
It is maybe... Aug 12, 2005

something like this what you are looking for?

http://www.tucows.com/preview/231379

Rgds

Eva Blanar  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
An old-fashioned way Aug 12, 2005

If you are sure there are whole, fully identical paragraphs that are repeated over and over again, in Word, you can create an "autotext" entry (in Tools -> AutoCorrect), so as soon as you type a certain word or combination in the text (such as txt1 or ppp or w3), Word will automatically insert that text.
Alternatively, you can put the same sign in those places and when you are ready, you can replace those (Edit -> Replace -> Replace all).
It is only important that the letter+digit combination you use shall be something unique, not similar to the language in question and watch out with spaces.
I always worked like that (prior to my CATs), it's easy.

Best regards,

Eva

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados & text recognition in the absence of source text

Advanced search

Translation news

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs