Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do you have to be physically strong to be a translator?
Thread poster: Edward Potter

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 19, 2005

This question came up as I took out my Webster's Dictionary this afternoon.

What does everyone think? Do you have to lift weights or something to be a translator?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-08-19 19:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
ahahaah Aug 19, 2005

Ok, there is not much point to my post, but buahahahaaha

xxxsarahl
Local time: 18:21
English to French
+ ...
yes! Aug 19, 2005

how many computers do you have to juggle as part of your work?

So my answer is, yes! loud and clear!

Arthur Allmendinger  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
you must have the stamina ... Aug 19, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:
Do you have to lift weights or something to be a translator?

You must have the stamina to work 10-15 hours a day with your keyboard and mouse... it's required if you want to succeed in this job.

Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:21
Member (2004)
English to French
I became strong by going to the gym Aug 19, 2005

to change my mind of being constantly in front of the computer and also to do something purely physical.

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
staying sane Aug 19, 2005

gym, bike, swim, run, fence and go spinning just to stay fit and sane, and see other human beings. m

Andrea Appel
Canada
Local time: 21:21
English to German
+ ...
There are some problems Aug 19, 2005

Marcus Malabad wrote:

gym, bike, swim, run, fence and go spinning just to stay fit and sane, and see other human beings. m

I tried but my notepad was starting to get heavy when running... and my blackberry drowned in the pool....and once the fencer muddled with my earpiece which was connected to my mobile phone I just had it.

[Edited at 2005-08-19 20:27]

mstkwasa
Local time: 02:21
English to Japanese
+ ...
A tough stomach Aug 19, 2005

I don't know about others and perhaps it does not count as physical robustness, but given the alarming rate at which I consume caffeinated beverages, a tough stomach that can handle them is essential (and limbs that do not shake).

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:51
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
You need to have strong wrists Aug 20, 2005

I can say from personal experience that in the least you need to have very strong wrists. Manupulating the "mouse" continously as it becomes necessary once you enter this profession, can give you very painful wrist aches.

You needn't necessarily be a weight-lifter as for most languages you can locate excellent online dictionaries, but this only increase the strain on the poor wrists!

Laura Mora  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 23:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
And also a strong back Aug 20, 2005

Balasubramaniam wrote:

you need to have very strong wrists. Manupulating the "mouse" continously as it becomes necessary once you enter this profession, can give you very painful wrist aches.

I have a terrible problems with my back, too painful. I have a very good chair, but.... it doesn't work.

Joanna Krahelska
Polish to English
+ ...
depends... Aug 20, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:

What does everyone think? Do you have to lift weights or something to be a translator?

I was into weight lifting for most of my career until I finally bought Webster's on CD... (and now, what is left are those flabby arms due to insufficient exercise )
the best, jk

sandhya  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:51
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
.. and mentally too! Aug 20, 2005

Hi,

I agree with Edward. Lifting dictionaries has proven to be good for my arms, don't need real weights:-)
But, the thrill and joy I get by turning the pages of a paper dictionary is greater than scanning a digital dictionary!

Yoga and meditation keep me healthy and calm... without stress!

cheers
sandhya

Edward Potter wrote:

Joanna Krahelska
Polish to English
+ ...
agree, but... Aug 20, 2005

Sandhya Murthy wrote:

But, the thrill and joy I get by turning the pages of a paper dictionary is greater than scanning a digital dictionary!

agree! which is why I do use the paper version from time to time, and of course would never throw it away
but... if the deadline is tight, the digital one is not only easier but also faster to use...

the best, jk

Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:21
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

useful shortcuts Aug 20, 2005

Balasubramaniam wrote:

I can say from personal experience that in the least you need to have very strong wrists. Manupulating the "mouse" continously as it becomes necessary once you enter this profession, can give you very painful wrist aches.

You needn't necessarily be a weight-lifter as for most languages you can locate excellent online dictionaries, but this only increase the strain on the poor wrists!

Many software functions have their shortcuts or hot keys at keyboard, that significantly cut downt the usage of the mouse. They are very easy to remember, and really not only save our wrists, but also speed up the work.

As to the direct question (Do you have to be physically strong to be a translator?)

Yea, one needs to have strong wrists and especially biceps, when the matter comes to getting money from the non-paying customers

[Edited at 2005-08-20 13:28]

Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:21
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

electronic dictionaries Aug 20, 2005

Joanna wrote:

I was into weight lifting for most of my career until I finally bought Webster's on CD...

I also bought several electronic dictionaries - and they are very user-friendly, it takes me several seconds to find any word I need, instead of several minutes to find it in the paper dictionaries.

[Edited at 2005-08-20 11:25]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you have to be physically strong to be a translator?

Advanced search

Translation news

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs