Mobile menu

While proof-checking all words count
Thread poster: xxxBrandis
Local time: 02:17
English to German
+ ...
Aug 24, 2005

Hello all! Lately I almost had a fight with one outsourcer regarding this. He had just failed to understand why I am charging for all words (source + Target = final roundup value x quoted price). In his opinion only the target will be paid, as it represents the final product. The situation was he sent me a .pdf file ( for advanced editing and commenting - word count ??) then he also had wanted me to edit the .ttx part, that was a bilingual and do the correction in the srings without losing the string length while maintaining the overall picture. Then I had to charge for Source (original) + Target (.pdf) source .ttx and the target.ttx. It was a dilemma and I wanted you all to know. He wanted fuzzies, repeats etc., as per trados match. I had to reject this, while it is good while translating and not proof-checking and editing. So the final consensus after all the fight was the work was 4 times as much in value and not just the target .pdf file advanced editing. Do you think the outsourcer was right or me. While proof-checking one has to check both files, make changes in the target file and comment in the target file giving the final product back. This is how I think. Earlier I used to quote per bi-lingual, until changed my quoting style on word basis as everything must be read and the overall picture must be maintained. All suggestions and corrections and your own experiences are most welcomed. Best Brandis

[Edited at 2005-08-24 16:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:17
English to French
+ ...
50% more if source document involved Aug 24, 2005

Considering your particular situation, this was a little more than a plain old proofreading job. Proofreading does not really have anything to do with translation; in other words, proofreading can be done by anyone who has a strong command of the target language. It is meant to correct spelling, grammar and punctuation only.

Of course, if you have to check if the translation itself is accurate, then you will need to also read the source document, which increases the time spent on work and makes work more complicated, plus it requires that the person doing the job is also highly proficient in the source language, not just the target. Not to mention that you will also have to perform at least some terminology research. So, the fact that you also use the source document should increase the rate you charge, because you worked that much more.

However, reading is not as big a deal as editing, commenting, correcting, etc. Therefore, the part where you deal with the source document should be worth about half as much in terms of money than the part where you deal with the target document.

In any case, I think it is best to have two different rates. One for proofreading, which only deals with the target document, and one for editing, which includes both. So, in other words, quote 6 cents per target word for editing and 4 cents per target word for proofing. That way, the terms are agreed upon in advance and there is no fighting. Just make sure you let the client know about what you mean by proofing and what you mean by editing - beforehand.

I have used this rate system forever and both I and my clients were happy. It also helps in making things clear right from the start.

Hope this helps

By the way, discounts on matches should ONLY be applied when TRANSLATING. You can't be held responsible if, let's say, the translator used the same translation for different sentences. The Trados analysis is based on an already translated document in this case, which really doesn't comme down to the same. As for the "final product", I think your client doesn't understand that buying translation, proofing and editing really isn't the same as buying a car. You don't pay for what you see, you pay for the amount of work done in order to produce the final product. Besides, when you buy a car, you don't just pay for the parts in it, you also pay for the work it took to put it together. I think your client doesn't realize this.

[Edited at 2005-08-24 21:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

While proof-checking all words count

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs