Mobile menu

Should I propose contract to solidy terms with existing client?
Thread poster: Sudarmaji lamiran
Sudarmaji lamiran
Indonesia
Local time: 01:47
English to Indonesian
Jun 30, 2002

I have been working for a Surabaya-based publisher for the last three years. Money is good enough and orders never stop. Lately, I begin to think about my future contracts, especially on our term of agreement and I want make it black and white. So far, we conducted our business based on trust solely. Rather than follow up this plan, I get little worry about my publisher reactions. Do they want settle our business relationshil up in that way? In my way? Guys, help me please! I have fork in the road.

Best regard

Direct link Reply with quote

Raymond Chu
Taiwan
Local time: 02:47
English to Chinese
+ ...
Translation Agreement Jul 1, 2002

Since you have been working with your client for three years without a written contract and everything seems going okay, I would suggest that you be very cautious and talking nicely when proposing for an agreement in writing. Probably you have to give him some good and convincing reasons and explanations so that he will not be offended. Strangely enough, most Oriental customers/clients do not like to put somthing in black and white.

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:47
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Agree with Raymond Jul 1, 2002

In view of the fact that you are happy with the current situation, why would you want to upset the apple cart?

If you try to pin your client down so that he is REQUIRED to send you work, you may never see this client again, Oriental or not.

I would suggest that you not make waves with existing clients and, if you feel the need to have something on paper, start with new clients.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I propose contract to solidy terms with existing client?

Advanced search

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs