Mobile menu

Is there a way to extract "untranslated segments" from a pretranslated .doc?
Thread poster: Éric Cléach
Éric Cléach  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:43
Member (2005)
English to French
Sep 16, 2005

Hi all,

I just started working on a fairly large project: a financial .doc file that contains over 80.000 words, only 6.000 of which are new words and 15.000 are fuzzy matches.
As I am not paid to check/edit the 100% matches, I would like to be able to extract all the non-100% matches in another file, so that when I do my final proofreading and spellchecking, I only get the segments that *I* have translated.
I have tried to do this manually (i.e. by pretranslating the file with Trados, and pasting all the untranslated segments in a new file), but as the non-100% segments are spread over the 300 pages, this is simply too time-consuming (though not as much as proofreading/spellchecking the whole file).

Any idea?

Thanks for your help!

Direct link Reply with quote

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You can always skip them Sep 16, 2005

When you're translating a segment, instead of closing it with "Set/Close Next Open/Get" [Alt + Num+], close it with "Set Close Next no 100% Open/Get" [Alt + Ctrl + Num+].

It will take you to the next segment that is not a 100%. I did that last weekend for a document that had a lot of 100% matches, and it worked perfectly.

Hope this helps!

Marie-Claude

France
Member (2005)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Not exactly Sep 16, 2005

Thanks for your answer, but this is not what I meant.

The problem is not with translation, but with proofreading/spellchecking: once the whole file has been translated (i.e. pretranslated 100% segments + other segments translated manually), I would have to proofread/spellcheck all the segments, even those that were in the TM...

I would like to be able to extract **only** the non-100% segments to proofread and spellcheck **only** those I have translated.

Does anyone know how to do that?

Thanks

avsie  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Oops, sorry! Sep 16, 2005

I guess I didn't read your message properly.

The thing I'm thinking about is using different colors for the "levels" of matches. But I don't know any way of extracting the non-100% text only...

Marie-Claude

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Use colors and delete Sep 16, 2005

You can pretranslate a working copy of the document with all 100% matches marked in green, for example, and then delete them by searching for a green text and replacing it with an empty string.

France
Member (2005)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Works a treat! Sep 16, 2005

Great!

This is exactly what I needed. I hadn't thought about using the colors, but actually, this is probably the easiest way.

Many many thanks!

[Edited at 2005-09-16 15:55]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a way to extract "untranslated segments" from a pretranslated .doc?

Advanced search

Translation news

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs