https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/38263-how_to_translate_technical_texts.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How to translate technical texts?
Thread poster: Asia_k
Asia_k
Asia_k
Local time: 11:29
Polish to German
+ ...
Oct 25, 2005

i need anything about the techniques...

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-25 13:06]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-10-25 15:28]

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Could you give some context? Oct 25, 2005

What do you need to know exactly? And what field are you talking about? "Technical" embraces a huge range of subjects!

Asia_k
Asia_k
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
antyhing about the techniques and purposes. Oct 25, 2005

i need anthing about the techniques and purposes of translating techincal texts in general, and something about manuals and other instructions to hosehold untensils.

Monique Laville
Monique Laville  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to French
+ ...
technical writing Oct 25, 2005

You will perhaps find something helpful in the following links:

http://www.word2word.com/tech.html

Asia_k
Asia_k
Polish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
i need: Oct 26, 2005

- some Information about where to find articles and books writting about the techniques and purpouses of transalation of technical texts,such as manuals, instructions etc. - whatfor is it made, which techniqeus are known,witch are the best ones, who coms to a translator with those texts, where do the transaltors find information and needen vokabluary
- articles about making tranlations with help from translating softwares (word translator, englisch translator etc) - who does it, what text
... See more
- some Information about where to find articles and books writting about the techniques and purpouses of transalation of technical texts,such as manuals, instructions etc. - whatfor is it made, which techniqeus are known,witch are the best ones, who coms to a translator with those texts, where do the transaltors find information and needen vokabluary
- articles about making tranlations with help from translating softwares (word translator, englisch translator etc) - who does it, what text xan be translated, in which matters is it helpfull, why are human translators much better, why are the programms so bad.
- articles about households untensils. (in german prefered)
Collapse

Arthur Allmendinger
Arthur Allmendinger  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
A very useful link! Oct 27, 2005

Monique Laville wrote:

You will perhaps find something helpful in the following links:

http://www.word2word.com/tech.html

Thanks, Monique!

setareh
setareh
English to Persian (Farsi)
thanks May 21, 2006

Monique the link was very useful.
thanks

Some information about technical translation Oct 22, 2009

Hello!!

I need some infromation about Technical Trasnlation. Something about peculiarities and diffucilties of technical translation? May be someone know some usefull WEB sites or books, which are available in the Internet??

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Andrzej Mierzejewski
Andrzej Mierzejewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Polish to English
+ ...
Some information Oct 29, 2009

Alizo4ka wrote:

Hello!!

I need some infromation about Technical Trasnlation. Something about peculiarities and diffucilties of technical translation?

First of all, you should understand the source text - this requires some technical knowledge. Without understanding and knowledge, translation produces bullshit. I recall a lady who in each case used the first translation of the source word she would find in the technical dictionary. She was a 'non-technical mind', still, she was 100% sure that it was the correct translation method. Each her translation was a disaster so she was fired very soon.

With knowledge, you will be able to decide which word or term you should use. For instance, a single English word can have as many as 30 German counterparts - and vice versa. This ratio may be similar for any other language pair. With knowledge, you will know that e.g. counterpart #1 is used in economical texts only, counterpart #2 - in astronomy, #3 - in plastics processing, etc.

You should also know the specific writing style used for technical texts in the target language. This issue is also of importance - e.g. a patent description should be written according to specific requirements of the Patent Office involved.

Knowledge is the basic requirement. My advice: look for technical texts in your source language AND translated to your target language (both in the Web and on paper), read as much as you can. Explore web sites for various products. Start with short and easy texts - do not attempt to translate a 150 pages instruction manual for a sophisticated metering instrument if you have no idea what it is used for (besides, I doubt whether any customer would assign such a translation to a student, whatever you study.)

Training makes master, there are no short cuts.

Good luck to you!

AM

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 16:29
English to Thai
+ ...
Kudoz world Sep 21, 2010

In recent JP-EN and EN-JP language pairs Kudoz of Proz.com, I recently observed that many best answers have been selected without technical background of the context: the technical documents. This gives a rather weird impression on my Kudoz participation and glossary building. I am an engineer and imagine that the Kudoz askers and answers should have had not asked those questions if they have sufficient technical skill/background. Many questions are very naive in technical sense. In addition, op... See more
In recent JP-EN and EN-JP language pairs Kudoz of Proz.com, I recently observed that many best answers have been selected without technical background of the context: the technical documents. This gives a rather weird impression on my Kudoz participation and glossary building. I am an engineer and imagine that the Kudoz askers and answers should have had not asked those questions if they have sufficient technical skill/background. Many questions are very naive in technical sense. In addition, opening one or many technical dictionaries is not enough for a new translator to write technical documents correctly. For instance, a housewife told her little son that an auto engine sits on a car "structure." In technical term, we will say that an auto engine sits on a car "chassis." I also met many professional technical translators whose education background are on non-technical subjects but took many efforts to master way of writing a technical document. Can this type of irregular word usage be prevented out of technical translation?

Soonthon Lupkitaro
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Russian to English
+ ...
Morry Sofer books are useful Sep 21, 2010

He has written workbooks for technical translation of quite a few languages. I have used the Russian one, and found it helpful. He gives you a source text, and also a translated target text for you to check yourself against when you're done. Plus notes on special translation issues.

Search for his name on Amazon.com or someplace like that.

But as others have said, there's no substitute for knowing the subject matter....
See more
He has written workbooks for technical translation of quite a few languages. I have used the Russian one, and found it helpful. He gives you a source text, and also a translated target text for you to check yourself against when you're done. Plus notes on special translation issues.

Search for his name on Amazon.com or someplace like that.

But as others have said, there's no substitute for knowing the subject matter.

[Edited at 2010-09-21 17:28 GMT]
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
For what? Sep 21, 2010

Are you writing a seminar essay on this, or a thesis perhaps? Your posts are very vague.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:29
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
This thread is 5 years old Sep 21, 2010

FarkasAndras wrote:

Are you writing a seminar essay on this, or a thesis perhaps? Your posts are very vague.

Look at the date of the original posting...
I am sure whatever the problem was, it had been resolved one way or other long ago...

Katalin

[Edited at 2010-09-21 21:15 GMT]

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oh dear Sep 21, 2010

Now I see... Soonthon revived this thread for no discernible reason, Susan Welsh took the bait and then so did I.
This should go back where it belongs... to page 789 or so, this time for good.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate technical texts?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »