Questions for using ABBYY PDF Transformer.
Thread poster: Lin Yang

Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
Nov 26, 2005

Hello there,

I bought a ABBYY PDF Transformer one week ago and found some problem when using it.

I have a PDF file of one page in landscape direction need to be converted into Word. However, I am totally lost on how to maintain the landscape format. The Word file I got is portrait format and I could not find where to set the format before the conversion.

Anyboby have any idea? TIA.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
Member (2002)
French to English
Word/Page Setup Nov 26, 2005

Why don't you just use the Page Setup facility in Word to turn it back into Landscape format?

Guy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did. Nov 26, 2005

Guy Bray wrote:

Why don't you just use the Page Setup facility in Word to turn it back into Landscape format?

Guy


Hi Guy.

I could reset it back to Landscape format in Word, but not in A4 size. My client used A4. The converted Word file by PDF Transformer is "self-defined size". Any idea of how to change paper size to A4?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
Member (2002)
French to English
Page Setup Nov 26, 2005

File/Page Setup/Paper lets you do it. It also helps you adjust the margins (though after a PDF extraction that may be a problem).

Guy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried that. Nov 26, 2005

Guy Bray wrote:

File/Page Setup/Paper lets you do it. It also helps you adjust the margins (though after a PDF extraction that may be a problem).

Guy


But failed. A smalled windowed poped out saying the current page was too big for A4 and I adjusted the margin too. No help either. Maybe that IS because it is from PDF.

Gush, I will try to contact ABBYY Technical Support on Monday. Maybe they have an easier solution.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Guy Bray  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
Member (2002)
French to English
Change font, cut & paste? Nov 26, 2005

OK, my last ideas would be (a) to make the fonts smaller--I often do that to ensure page-for-page correspondence), and if that doesn't work (b) to just copy the translation onto a blank A4 landscape page (you said it was only one page).

Good luck!

Guy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Guy. Nov 26, 2005

Guy Bray wrote:

OK, my last ideas would be (a) to make the fonts smaller--I often do that to ensure page-for-page correspondence), and if that doesn't work (b) to just copy the translation onto a blank A4 landscape page (you said it was only one page).

Good luck!

Guy


Yeah, I will give it a last try as you suggested. But it won't be easy with these photos and logos. But still, thank you for your kindly help and have a great weekend.

Lin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Balttext  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 09:57
English to Latvian
+ ...
ABBYY PDF Transformer Nov 27, 2005

Hi,

I'm not sure whether you can set the output settings in the Transformer, it's rather like Guy suggested - have to try to make it in Word document or by copying everything piece by piece into a blank portrait document.
The problem is that this ABBYY product is more for automatic convertion with minor (or no) fine tuning options. I tried to use it for some time and then found an OCR software that they have (ABBYY FineReader 8.0) more useful for this purpose, even if you have to spend a little bit more time on that, at least you get the results that you want. But I hope their technical support people will prove me wrong and help you.

Uldis


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:57
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Uldis. Nov 27, 2005

Balttext wrote:

Hi,

I'm not sure whether you can set the output settings in the Transformer, it's rather like Guy suggested - have to try to make it in Word document or by copying everything piece by piece into a blank portrait document.
The problem is that this ABBYY product is more for automatic convertion with minor (or no) fine tuning options. I tried to use it for some time and then found an OCR software that they have (ABBYY FineReader 8.0) more useful for this purpose, even if you have to spend a little bit more time on that, at least you get the results that you want. But I hope their technical support people will prove me wrong and help you.

Uldis


That is one of Guy's suggestions too: to copy everything piece by piece into a blank protrait page. Acutally I already tried this meothod. The only problem is that the letter sizes have to be very small to contain the all content in one page. So I am gonna contact my client and ABBYY Technical Support tomorrow.

Also, thank you for sharing your experience with ABBYY FineReader 8.0. I will take a look into it.

Lin


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 08:57
Member (2004)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Possible solution... Dec 1, 2005

I use ABBYY Finereader 7.0, so it could conceivably be slightly different from 8.0.

Select Tools > Options and then select the Recognition and Formatting tabs. This will provide you with a few options in terms of maintaining the format of the original document. If you select "Retain full page layout" under formatting it should maintain the format of the page as you need it.

Hope that helps!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Questions for using ABBYY PDF Transformer.

Advanced search







Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums