Minutes of a meeting
Thread poster: Johan Venter

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
Dec 1, 2005

I am translating the minutes of a meeting from Dutch to English. Normally the Dutch are a bit more formal in these things than the English tend to be, yet in the document I'm translating they state that the meeting is 'hosted' (not chaired) by John Smith, not Mr. John Smith (not the real name, of course.

The minutes then state in the second part that John suggested this and that, instead of stating that Mr. Smith suggested this and that. The other aspects of the minutes seem 'normal' to me, so it is always possible that the person who took the minutes was not aware of the style that has to employed with minutes.

May I ask what you suggest I do with this document: keep the informal style, using first names without the surname in keeping with the Dutch document, or should I rather use the surnames of the people and make it slightly more formal?

FWI, I'm translating this to UK English.

TIA

Direct link Reply with quote

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:26
Dutch to English
+ ...
I would keep it formal Dec 1, 2005

But I would also inform the customer that you did this. If you know which company/body it is, you could check their website (if they have one) and see if they use a formal style there or not.

olivier saint germes
Spain
Spanish to French
+ ...
Let the client do this for you! Dec 1, 2005

My advice in this case is that you ask your client for what he wants you to do, and to keep the answer!!! (as a guarantee)
Hope I can help
bye

Pavel Brunda  Identity Verified
English to Czech
+ ...
Do you know any resources for style of minutes of a meeting? Dec 1, 2005

Hi,

I have a similar tranlsation job from time to time. I wonder if there is any resource material on minutes in English.

Thanks a lot.
Pavel

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Formal Dec 1, 2005

I agree with Marijke on this.

I think it would be best to err on the side of formality rather than informality.

I would also think it impossible to offend anyone by using the more formal "Mr. Smith", whereas as "John" might be interpreted as rather too casual.

If you can seek the client's advice/experience, this would obviously be preferable.

Cheers,
Andy

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Sticking to the register is part of a translator's job Dec 1, 2005

venter wrote:

I am translating the minutes of a meeting from Dutch to English. Normally the Dutch are a bit more formal in these things than the English tend to be, yet in the document I'm translating they state that the meeting is 'hosted' (not chaired) by John Smith, not Mr. John Smith (not the real name, of course.

The minutes then state in the second part that John suggested this and that, instead of stating that Mr. Smith suggested this and that. The other aspects of the minutes seem 'normal' to me, so it is always possible that the person who took the minutes was not aware of the style that has to employed with minutes.

May I ask what you suggest I do with this document: keep the informal style, using first names without the surname in keeping with the Dutch document, or should I rather use the surnames of the people and make it slightly more formal?

FWI, I'm translating this to UK English.

TIA

Someone has written up the minutes of a meeting and done so in a certain style and register. imho, as translator, it is your job to stick to that register and style. You are not editing the minutes, you are translating them. My 2 € cents.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:26
English to Russian
+ ...
I agree with writeaway Dec 2, 2005

I agree with this too.

Johan Venter  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 2, 2005

Thank you for all the input. I decided to stick with the style used, which was later also confirmed with the client.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Minutes of a meeting

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs