Do I have to translate all the answers to one question?
Thread poster: Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank
Charlotte Blank  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:13
Czech to German
+ ...
Dec 12, 2005

Hi all,

in a medical questionnaire I just have a rather long list of answering possibilities for one question but only one of them is relevant and has a * on it. I know it will bring more words but would you translate all of those unproper answers as well or just the suitable one?

Charlotte

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:13
French to English
Purchase order? Agreement of some kind? Dec 12, 2005

What did you agree to with the client?

Although it sounds as if you haven't really got any sort of agreement, otherwise you wouldn't be asking. Which is possibly slightly unwise. Maybe you should ask the client, not us?

FWIW though, if I were your target reader, I'd probably prefer to see the whole thing, just so I knew what answers weren't relevant...

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No agreement Dec 12, 2005

Hi Charlie,

no, I don't have any agreement as I did not see the text before and the agency did not tell me... It's an insurance questionnaire with such questions as "Did the person apply for: 1., 2., 3., ..." where only one of those points is checked.

Charlotte

Dr Sue Levy (X)
Dr Sue Levy (X)
French to English
+ ...
multiple choice questionnaire Dec 12, 2005

If it's a MCQ, obviously you need to translate all the possible responses. The fact that only one is correct is irrelevant.

Good luck!
Sue

Seadeta Osmani
Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
All Dec 12, 2005

Hi Charlotte,

I usually translate all of them, be they multiple choices of statements, answers, fields, etc. Keep in mind that you are responsible to produce translations which look as close to their originals as possible. When a client needs only specific answers, they usually say so. And if you are not sure, the best thing is to ask the Client.

Happy translating!

Seadeta

Jerónimo Fernández
Jerónimo Fernández  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask your client Dec 12, 2005

You don't want to get to deadline date and have your translation incomplete.

HTH.

Regards,
Jerónimo

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
German to English
+ ...
mark the relevant answer Dec 13, 2005

Don't forget to mark in some way which one of the answers is appropriate, otherwise the client will not be much the wiser!

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
agree with other responses Dec 14, 2005

I get these a lot with standard hospital forms (e.g. including all possible types of billing procedures), and sometimes the irrelevant bits are the most difficult of all to translate! But you must translate them all. And as Pat says, don't forget to highlight the relevant answer in a way as close as possible to the original (using a box with an X in it, putting it in bold, underlining it, or whatever).

Charlotte Blank
Germany
Czech to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Related question Dec 14, 2005

Thanks so far to all of you! So I'm going to translate all these "unnecessary" things as well;-)
There is something else, however, related to the first question: What do you do with headers and footers where on every page there is the same information, such as name of the company, addresses, phone numbers etc.? (I think this has been discussed before but cannot remember where.)

Charlotte

Pat Jenner (X)
Pat Jenner (X)
German to English
+ ...
This is something you really do need to sort out with the client. Dec 15, 2005

I do quite a lot of medical reports, and I find that clients have very different approaches (if they've thought about it at all!). You certainly want to avoid struggling with large volumes of often poor quality text, and then find that the client didn't want you to translate/transcribe it (and doesn't want to pay for it...). I would suggest to your client that, unless they really need all this information (opening hours, phone numbers, bank details...), you put in the name of the institution and... See more
I do quite a lot of medical reports, and I find that clients have very different approaches (if they've thought about it at all!). You certainly want to avoid struggling with large volumes of often poor quality text, and then find that the client didn't want you to translate/transcribe it (and doesn't want to pay for it...). I would suggest to your client that, unless they really need all this information (opening hours, phone numbers, bank details...), you put in the name of the institution and department where the patient was treated, the date, and the names of the medical staff involved.
If they decide that they do want everything that's in the original, you should also issue a disclaimer on legibility of addresses, bank account numbers, etc. (and also do this if the figures in any lab reports are not clear).
Hope that helps.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do I have to translate all the answers to one question?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »