Thread poster: Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 27, 2005

I need some help as i ve forgotten how to use the adobe acrobat.
just a few hints for a proof reading job of a printer.
can t even get it started!

tks a lot. Merry Xmas.

Alicia

Cintia Pecellin
Cintia Pecellin  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:49
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
Make notes or save it as a Word document Dec 27, 2005

Hi!

I'm not too sure as to what exactly you need help with. If it's just an easy proofreading job, you have two options:

- You can make notes: right click and make a note.

- Save it as a Word document: file... Save as... etc. Unfortunately, you won't always be able to do this, it depends on the security level of the document, ...etc.

Hope this helps you!
Zyntia.

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Dec 27, 2005

I need to do this:

Please be aware that your proofread and check would be the final check carried out by a native language expert before we deliver files to the printers - this is the file that will appear on the shop shelves - it is vital that this stage is done thoroughly.

You MUST follow this checklist to ensure you are meeting XXXX quality standards when working on complex multilingual packaging projects.

Please check the following:

1. omis
... See more
I need to do this:

Please be aware that your proofread and check would be the final check carried out by a native language expert before we deliver files to the printers - this is the file that will appear on the shop shelves - it is vital that this stage is done thoroughly.

You MUST follow this checklist to ensure you are meeting XXXX quality standards when working on complex multilingual packaging projects.

Please check the following:

1. omissions – please check nothing is omitted and that your language matches the content of the English, throughout the packaging
2. typographical errors, corrupted characters etc – please check your language is error-free
3. bulleted lists – are they in the same order as the English, do they contain the same number of bullets as the English?
4. product names and numbers - are they the same as the English?
5. specs – eg, paper size, ppm, dpi, MB
6. correct use of ®, TM symbols etc. according to the GB copy
7. the fonts/styles used (bold, italic, point size etc) – please check that these are correct throughout

Working with PDF files - you MUST have the full version of Acrobat to work with these files:

We appreciate that working with large PDFs requires great care. We recommend the following process:

1. Print out the pdf file in its entirety – the text will be too small to read, but this paper copy can serve as a key.
2. By zooming in on the PDF on-screen, locate all instances of your language and the corresponding English.
3. Highlight on your hard copy of the complete file where the text in your language occurs. This will provide you with a key to where you must check.
4. Now, please proof and check all the packaging, either on-screen, or on paper (see below).
5. Please tick each section of your language on the hard copy as you proof it.

If you wish to check it on paper, you should crop the PDF into sections such that each one is legible when printed. To do this:

• save a back-up copy
• select the crop tool in Acrobat
• select the area you wish to print and press ‘Enter’
• print and do NOT save the document
• go to the File menu and choose “Revert” to revert to full file

i need a guideor something. i ve got full version of 5.0

[Edited at 2005-12-27 15:53]
Collapse

Ana Belen Postigo Pinazo
Ana Belen Postigo Pinazo  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
They don't say how to proofread it Dec 27, 2005

Maybe you should ask how they want the proofreading to be done. What they do is to provide a checklist on what you have to check, how to print the pdf to ease the job... but not how you should make the changes: in the pdf itself (editing it) or inserting notes, or making a Word document... and afterwards they will be in charge of regenerating the pdf once the changes have been inserted.
Check in File - Document Security if you are allowed to edit the pdf. Check the settings, maybe you can
... See more
Maybe you should ask how they want the proofreading to be done. What they do is to provide a checklist on what you have to check, how to print the pdf to ease the job... but not how you should make the changes: in the pdf itself (editing it) or inserting notes, or making a Word document... and afterwards they will be in charge of regenerating the pdf once the changes have been inserted.
Check in File - Document Security if you are allowed to edit the pdf. Check the settings, maybe you can insert the changes in the pdf.
When I have proofread a final pdf, I have normally used the notes.
I would suggest to ask the client or agency.

[Edited at 2005-12-27 16:54]
Collapse

Michaela Müller
Michaela Müller
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Clear instructions available Dec 27, 2005

Hi,

It seems to me that we are working for the same agency.
Sorry, but how did you actually pass the proofreading/translation test if you don't even know how to proofread those files, or if you don't seem to be able to read instructions and hints? This agency always gives very clear instructions and tells its translators where to find step-by-step-guides (and they always encourage translators to ask if sth. isn't clear).

The instructions are usually available on t
... See more
Hi,

Sorry, but how did you actually pass the proofreading/translation test if you don't even know how to proofread those files, or if you don't seem to be able to read instructions and hints? This agency always gives very clear instructions and tells its translators where to find step-by-step-guides (and they always encourage translators to ask if sth. isn't clear).

The instructions are usually available on the company's extranet, where you need to login into the according area.
Just ask the PM for the login information, or ask her/him to send you the current Instructions for Proofreaders.

But if you don't think it is necessary to learn how to do this "only small proofreading" job, then here is a quick guide:
Open the PDF (seems to be a multilingual one), print it and check on paper where all the text in your language appears, so you won't forget to check any text. If needed, rotate the page.

What you need to do while proofreading is the following:
If you spot an error, first highlight the part where the wrong text appears with help of the Text tool (T with yellow line - after doing so, the text is usually highlighted in yellow).
Then use the notes tool which in my version is located in the left and looks like a yellow bubble with lines. Just click on the bubble and insert it where you spotted the error. Then you should follow the different instructions given in the guide for proofreaders, which mostly means that you have to fill in the instruction - if spacing, gramamr, spelling or hyphens shopuld be changed - for the DTP contact into the 1st line of the note, the text to be corrected has to be put in the 2nd line, and the correct text without mistakes has to be put into the 3rd line).

Then go on finding all mistakes and save the file with all the notes without changing the file name.

Good luck,

Michaela
Collapse

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reply Dec 27, 2005

Michaela Müller wrote:

Hi,

The instructions are usually available on the company's extranet, where you need to login into the according area.
Just ask the PM for the login information, or ask her/him to send you the current Instructions for Proofreaders.

But if you don't think it is necessary to learn how to do this "only small proofreading" job, then here is a quick guide:
Open the PDF (seems to be a multilingual one), print it and check on paper where all the text in your language appears, so you won't forget to check any text. If needed, rotate the page.

What you need to do while proofreading is the following:
If you spot an error, first highlight the part where the wrong text appears with help of the Text tool (T with yellow line - after doing so, the text is usually highlighted in yellow).
Then use the notes tool which in my version is located in the left and looks like a yellow bubble with lines. Just click on the bubble and insert it where you spotted the error. Then you should follow the different instructions given in the guide for proofreaders, which mostly means that you have to fill in the instruction - if spacing, gramamr, spelling or hyphens shopuld be changed - for the DTP contact into the 1st line of the note, the text to be corrected has to be put in the 2nd line, and the correct text without mistakes has to be put into the 3rd line).

Then go on finding all mistakes and save the file with all the notes without changing the file name.

Good luck,

Michaela

Hi,
Maybe, just maybe, i passed the tests because i m a good translator.

On the other hand, i m going through serious problems with my Adobe Acrobat 5.0 or i m needing 7.0

Last but not least, thanks and Merry Xmas.

Alicia Casal
Buenos Aires

[Edited at 2005-12-27 23:00]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Wrong Process Dec 28, 2005

They should not be sending you a .pdf to proofread and edit. It is already written in stone. They should send you a WP file that is editable, and when finished then they can write it in stone if they like.

Their process is no good.

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Wrong Process Dec 28, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:

They should not be sending you a .pdf to proofread and edit. It is already written in stone. They should send you a WP file that is editable, and when finished then they can write it in stone if they like.

Their process is no good.

I suspect that it isn't quite that simple, Henry. The translation should certainly be checked in a format which is conducive to editing, which as you point out means a WP format. But by my thinking, it should also be proof-read (in the true sense of the word) to ensure that the typesetting process (which in this case is effectively the conversion to PDF) has not introduced any further errors. It sounds to me as though the customer is trying to combine these two checking stages within a single stage.

So yes, the process is flawed, but the solution is not necessarily simply substituting a WP file for the PDF file.

Marc

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
PDFs for a final check Dec 28, 2005

It's quite common to receive PDFs for a final "layout" check, before final print.

At this stage, issues should only be flagged as described above by Michaela (with Acronat's comments tools), and any corrections will be implemented by the layout department. In this case you might receive the corrected PDF again for you final ok. Depends on client's workflow.

At least with Acrobat 7 (it may have been different in Acrobat 5), if you highlight any text that require correcti
... See more
It's quite common to receive PDFs for a final "layout" check, before final print.

At this stage, issues should only be flagged as described above by Michaela (with Acronat's comments tools), and any corrections will be implemented by the layout department. In this case you might receive the corrected PDF again for you final ok. Depends on client's workflow.

At least with Acrobat 7 (it may have been different in Acrobat 5), if you highlight any text that require correcting with the highlight tool, you do not need to add a separate Note comment, but just right-click on the highlighted text and select Open pop-up note (or similar - I'm translating from my Italian Acrobat) - so that the note will remain grouped with the highlighted text.

In some cases the highlighter tool may not be enough - you can then use the rectangle or oval tool, again with its related comment box. (This is handy to point out alignment errors, or screenshots errors, or quote marks...).

Also, I'm not ure about this, BUT... Comment tools may not be available in Reader. In Acrobat 7 they have added a feature to include commenting capabilities for users of Acrobat Reader 7, but this has to be done when saving the PDF, at your client's end. So if you are using Acrobat Reader 7 ask your client to save the PDF file with commenting features enabled. It should not be an issue if you are using the full Acrobat 5 (not Reader)

cheers,
Roberta
Collapse

Alicia Casal
Argentina
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks all Dec 28, 2005

Today i m receiving the 7.0.
See how i go through it.

happy New Year

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Adobe Acrobat . S.O.S.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »