Thread poster: Jennifer Baker

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:34
Partial member (2004)
Italian to English
Jan 9, 2006

Hi Everyone,
I've finally decided to put all of my glossaries in proper order and would appreciate any advice from the more organized people out there. What is the easiest and most efficient way to create and organize glossaries? Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Jennifer

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Hesselnberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:34
French to German
+ ...
Desktop Search Jan 9, 2006

Install a Desktop Search like Google Desktop Search or Copernic (both are for free),
I ranged all my glossaries in the same folder, with Copernic I can find immediately the term I am searching for (Excel, Word and PDF files)

Copernic, rechercher et découvrirCopernic conçoit des solutions évoluées de gestion de l'information qui permettent aux utilisateurs de PC d'accéder, de trouver, de gérer et de découvrir ...
www.copernic.com/fr/

HTH

Michael

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Import them into a CAT tool Jan 9, 2006

I agree with Michael's suggestion (I use Copernic myself), although I find these tools most useful for monolingual material. I can download monolingual reference texts onto my hard disk, then when I search for terms, Copernic does a concordance search of almost all file formats on the HD, finding material that I never knew I had.

But to get real leverage out of your glossaries, it would be better to put them into a CAT tool (sorry, computer-aided translation), which will give you instant and automatic look-up and also help you to expand your glossaries.
My favourite is DVX, but I don't want to start a CAT war, and you will have to find out which is best for you anyway.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Text with Tab Jan 9, 2006

Tab separated text files with the columns
SourceLanguage, TargetLanguage, Comment, (optional others...)
is my base structure to import glossaries into CAT tools like Trados, DVX, etc.

Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Stay unorganised Jan 9, 2006

Hi Jennifer,

I looked at your profile and saw you use Wordfast. That means you can group your raw material in folders. You can consult them in Word with the Reference search function of Wordfast.

Use Harry's method for all glossaries you really need. In that format you can directly use them as Wordfast glossaries.

As Michael suggested, download and install Copernic too. It's free and great for searching all your stuff, irrespective of the location on your disc. Copernic freezes when you look up terms in files bigger than 1 MB but I use it often anyway.

The bottom line is: with Wordfast and Copernic you don't have to waste much time on building and organising glossaries.

Regards,
Gerard

Jennifer Baker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:34
Partial member (2004)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all Jan 10, 2006

I appreciate everyone's advice.

Many thanks- Jennifer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to build and organize glossaries

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs