Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 19:59
Spanish
+ ...
Feb 2, 2006

Hello,

I have a document in pdf, since I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0, I thought I could save it as .rtf, then edit the lay-out a bit, translate it using Trados and then export the translated rtf file to pdf again.

The problem is that a few pages of the pdf file have very complex objects that I couldn't reproduce (horizontal charts, calendars, diagrams, etc.).

I'm new to Acrobat, so (silly me) I thought instead, I could translate the
... See more
Hello,

I have a document in pdf, since I have Adobe Acrobat 7.0, I thought I could save it as .rtf, then edit the lay-out a bit, translate it using Trados and then export the translated rtf file to pdf again.

The problem is that a few pages of the pdf file have very complex objects that I couldn't reproduce (horizontal charts, calendars, diagrams, etc.).

I'm new to Acrobat, so (silly me) I thought instead, I could translate the exported .rtf file and paste the text to the pdf using the TouchUp tool. But of course whenever I try to paste the text, the 'multi-lined' paragraphs are pasted as a single line. I could copy/text each line and manually fix the format to fit the page, but it would take me several hours to so that because the document is too big.

Does anybody know if there is a way I can set the margins in Acrobat so the original lay-out will be kept?

I hope I made myself clear.

Thanks
Collapse

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:59
German to English
+ ...
bad news Feb 2, 2006

Hi Caliaa,

I'm afraid what you're trying to do isn't possible (but maybe someone else can suggest another option). PDF documents are fundamentally different from Word documents and are not intended to be extensively edited. The TouchUp Tool only allows you to edit on a line-by-line basis because the text in the PDF document is formatted into individual lines using invisible codes (similar to html markup codes for web pages, but more complicated). There is no 'paragraph margin' in th
... See more
Hi Caliaa,

I'm afraid what you're trying to do isn't possible (but maybe someone else can suggest another option). PDF documents are fundamentally different from Word documents and are not intended to be extensively edited. The TouchUp Tool only allows you to edit on a line-by-line basis because the text in the PDF document is formatted into individual lines using invisible codes (similar to html markup codes for web pages, but more complicated). There is no 'paragraph margin' in the sense of what you're used to with a Word document.

If you have committed to delivering a translation corresponding to the original PDF format, your best approach is to recreate all the tables etc. in the Word document and then export it as a PDF document. Various tools are available for this purpose; they usually act as 'virtual' printers.
If the original document contains imagery, you can select, copy and paste it into a Word document as pictures, but the quality may not be as good as in the original. For best results, the original image files should be used (edited as necessary using the appropriate application) and then inserted into the Word document, or better yet, a page-layout (DTP) program should be used (InDesign or Quark XPress, for example).

For more info, try googing "pdf files" with 'editing'. A sample reference provides the following information:

'Within the box you can make minor text amendments line by line, providing that you have the font that the text was originally created in installed on your machine. If you don’t have the right font, it isn’t even possible to copy and paste the words or characters from elsewhere in the document.

You cannot create a new line of text if your additional text runs on too far - it will not wrap. Also, be careful in editing spaces because there is no set size for a space and if you may not be able to realign the text exactly.'

www.york.ac.uk/services/cserv/help/Acrobat/professional/editing.htm

[Edited at 2006-02-02 10:32]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Margins and the TouchUp tool with Acrobat 7.0

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »