Germany
Local time: 02:48
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Feb 9, 2006

I know, I know... But still, here's the problem:
I have about 8K words to be translated from Italian to English. So far I could use the trick of putting the original on the net - ie getting it a ZRL - and then Systran mulched through it.

It does not work this time (157 - possibly too long, does not like graphs, I do not know). I'm back to the drudgery of cutting and pasting.

Except if somebody knows a better way.

TiA

Vito

PRen (X)
PRen (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:48
French to English
+ ...
Or... Feb 10, 2006

Or you're back to the drudgery of translating????

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:48
German to English
+ ...
IBM Feb 10, 2006

Try the IBM Websphere Translation Server at:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/pervasive/tech/demos/translation.shtml

unless you want to cough up
... See more
Try the IBM Websphere Translation Server at:

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/pervasive/tech/demos/translation.shtml

unless you want to cough up $9.95 for 1-800-Translate at:

http://www.1-800-translate.com/machine_subscription/

I've found the IBM service capable of making good work of some even moderately complex sentence constructions – but then to buy to use on one's own computers it does cost $20000 or more. The main problem I've had is that it does not seem to accept accents or umlauts (though ae, oe and ue instead were OK) – perhaps it's because I've always fed it UTF-8 files and it uses ISO-8859-1 or Windows - 1252. Also it sometimes comes back with the source text as the translation; perhaps it's just when the server is down but it does seem to happen quite often.

[Edited at 2006-02-10 09:49]

I've just tried it with an ISO-8859-1 encoded html file of Spanish text on my own server and accented words have been read (and translated) OK.

[Edited at 2006-02-10 09:51]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
You really pretranslate with Babelfish? Feb 10, 2006

Vito Smolej wrote:

I know, I know... But still, here's the problem:
I have about 8K words to be translated from Italian to English. So far I could use the trick of putting the original on the net - ie getting it a ZRL - and then Systran mulched through it.

It does not work this time (157 - possibly too long, does not like graphs, I do not know). I'm back to the drudgery of cutting and pasting.

Except if somebody knows a better way.

TiA

Vito

I don't see them point. You end up spending more time trying to work out what the original was so you can translate it properly.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Can you really say you'd rather translate this babel than the original...? Feb 10, 2006

ETudier a language without taking the culture which underlies her in account constitutes an aberration that null can deny. Thus, force is to notice that in the lectures of language given in the schools or in university, the cultural size is often spirited away to the profit of purely linguistic analyses that one presents often improperly as being the only likely to allow a good understanding of the languages key. Pass under silence that the linguists designate often the reports which exist betwe... See more
ETudier a language without taking the culture which underlies her in account constitutes an aberration that null can deny. Thus, force is to notice that in the lectures of language given in the schools or in university, the cultural size is often spirited away to the profit of purely linguistic analyses that one presents often improperly as being the only likely to allow a good understanding of the languages key. Pass under silence that the linguists designate often the reports which exist between the cultural and social facts and the linguistic structures, under the name of «metalinguistics» in other words, to deny, a grave mistake constitute some however, have tendency advisedly or not, to perpetuate.

--------

The first sentence is the only one that makes any sense to me.
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks everybody... Feb 10, 2006

Yes, first of all, I do want to translate the text and not cut and paste it. And yes, the babelfish target is per definition more or less babeltowerish. And no, I don't intend to spend the rest of the week cutting and pasting - I just dont feel like crossing the invisible line between my own laziness and simple stupidity.

So why do it in the first place? Well, if it were five minutes (what I intended to spend on this - as Germans call it - Schnapsidee), I hoped for some termi
... See more
Yes, first of all, I do want to translate the text and not cut and paste it. And yes, the babelfish target is per definition more or less babeltowerish. And no, I don't intend to spend the rest of the week cutting and pasting - I just dont feel like crossing the invisible line between my own laziness and simple stupidity.

So why do it in the first place? Well, if it were five minutes (what I intended to spend on this - as Germans call it - Schnapsidee), I hoped for some terminology etc hits when going for it for real.

Thanks everybody!

Vito
Collapse

TransWolf
TransWolf
German to English
+ ...
Pretranslating with Babelfish Feb 12, 2006

Pretranslate with Babelfish?

You cannot be serious.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
you cant be serious... Feb 12, 2006

correct:D Don't even think Im generating a TM out of it - see above for my explanation -. That would not be even funny anymore.

But ... can we change the subject;

[Edited at 2006-02-12 15:58]

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
using online MT system for translation jobs Feb 12, 2006

TransWolf wrote:
Pretranslate with Babelfish?
You cannot be serious.

Just a few weeks ago, an article "Translation: Systran or Reverso?" appeared on a blog:
http://aixtal.blogspot.com/2006/01/translation-systran-or-reverso.html

At the end of the article, in the comments section, I provided a number of comments concerning that project. Those comments covered the Inbound and Outbound approaches to translation, grammatical and lexical asymetry in MT software/systems, and the semantic coverage across general dictionary entries versus custom user dictionaries.

The conclusion is that it is better to buy an MT software package, with the built-in features for translators, than to try to use online systems like Babelfish to do translation production work.

I do however use them for other types of translation needs.

Jeff
http://www.geocities.com/mtpostediting/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pretranslating with Babelfish...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »