Mobile menu

What do you prefer handwriting or typing?
Thread poster: Mrudula Tambe

Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:28
English to Marathi
+ ...
Feb 18, 2006

Handwriting or typing while translating. For me as I have disgraphia problem while handwriting I prefer typing the translation which is comparitively faster. Also if the matter is almost same as one of my previous projects, I copy paste that matter in new .doc and make the required changes. Sometimes I even copy paste a single letter also. Secondly if a particular word is appearing repeatedly in the article, I write a single letter instead of it and use the facility "Find and replace" for the whole document. So my choice is always typing irrespective of target language.

Direct link Reply with quote

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 10:58
German to Romanian
+ ...
Is anyone still handing out handwritten translations? Feb 18, 2006

I seriously doubt that anyone in this forum (who obviously has a computer) is handing out handwritten translations.
As for your method ... maybe you should consider using CAT tools, if you have so many repetitive texts.

However, copying a single letter seems a bit more work than typing it.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:58
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
And as for the form in which the original comes... Feb 18, 2006

I can't imagine anyone preferring handwriting. I have a useful collaboration arrangement with a native Russian speaker who helps me by deciphering handwriting. I reciprocate by doing some proofreading.

[Edited at 2006-02-18 21:05]

India
English to Marathi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You people are talking about developed countries Feb 19, 2006

There are still countries where Computer, Internet are not much popular. In my country majority translators serving in offices prefer handwriting still. Secondly though they know English Typing they are unknown to the regional language typing or even if they are unable to type fast. So many people prefer to write than to type.

Some of them can type English or Hindi or other regional languages but don't know about unicode facility. So their fonts and client's fonts do not match. So they prefer to send handwritten by fax(

Also many of them like to put down their ideas on paper fast rather than searching the keys on the keyboard. Some of them still like paper-writing.

Roomy Naqvy  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
What developed? What underdeveloped? Feb 19, 2006

Mrudula Tambe wrote:

There are still countries where Computer, Internet are not much popular. In my country majority translators serving in offices prefer handwriting still. Secondly though they know English Typing they are unknown to the regional language typing or even if they are unable to type fast. So many people prefer to write than to type.

Some of them can type English or Hindi or other regional languages but don't know about unicode facility. So their fonts and client's fonts do not match. So they prefer to send handwritten by fax(

Also many of them like to put down their ideas on paper fast rather than searching the keys on the keyboard. Some of them still like paper-writing.

Dear Mrudula
I come from *your country* [India] and live there too. I must say that your concerns are rather misplaced because we no longr have people really handwriting translations in offices. Things are much better. I am in New Delhi but I can even tell you about smaller centres that people do use computers and things are much more automated, not really like the picture you might like to paint.

The entire debate about Unicode and true type fonts is another one and I don't think it should be confused with this one...

Roomy

Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
you have addressed a forum on the Internet Feb 19, 2006

as such, I assumed that all the people visiting the forum have access to the Internet, thus most probably all people that you have addressed are obviously computer users. Hence, I think that you will get the same answer: nobody here writes their texts manually. This was what I meant. If you are curious about a specific situation, where people don't have computers, you have to use other means if you want to get an accurate answer, such as a direct poll with the people you are interested about.
You can't expect people using computers to only ue their computers for forums and then have their translations written by hand. I seriously doubt that anyone in this forum prefers handwritten translations, regardless of their country of origin.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:58
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Why one should type Feb 19, 2006

A couple of points:

a. I can imagine that a native speaker of Tamil might be unfamiliar with a Tamil keyboard. However, if he/she wants to be a translator to Tamil as a profession, it isn't all that difficult to learn to type fast. There were typing schools in India in the 1960's. I imagine there still are.

b. Even if these people can't get their clients' fonts to match their own, it's still easier to read a faxed printout than faxed handwriting in many cases.

c. I do often mark up copies of source text. That's not what I turn in to clients, howevr.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Transliteration tools Feb 19, 2006

Dear Mridula,
And in case you don't know how to type in Indian languages (neither do I), why don't you use transliteration tools. There are some excellent transliteration softwares available for Indian languages. Afterall, India is the IT hub!!!
Try out different programs (there are quite a few) before you choose what works best for you.
Hope this is of some help.
Best regards,
Ritu

India
English to Marathi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This forum is global Feb 19, 2006

There are developing countries on this earth and I think some of the member are limiting discussion to India just because I'm from India.

I appeal specially Indian members to think globally on this forum. As far as my problems are concern I've found the perfect solution for typing fast i.e. Office clipboard.

Also kindly think in a way that some people may like handwriting just because they like to write or just because they feel that by handwriting they can express themselves better.

gabrio
English to Italian
+ ...
i prefer typing because it's faster but sometimes i do regret the fact that.... Feb 20, 2006

As you read above, i am definitely faster typing at the computer and for all the translations i have done, it has always been that way for me however i do regret that during all the last years, i do not hand write that much anymore so i lost exercise... this could be just me though.

Gabrio

Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
For handwriting nostalgics Feb 20, 2006

There are now laptop computers that allow you to handwrite with a special pen on the screen. There is a software recognising and converting the words to Unicode text.

Ehsan Kiani

Local time: 13:28
English to Farsi (Persian)
+ ...
Each of them has pros and cons Jul 11, 2010

Dear all "Prozers"!

I had the same question in my mind and thought of this forum to find other people's ideas. Having worked with both two styles, I doubt which of them is better for the texts I'm translating, that are mostly literary and artistic. (so I'm not so much talking about technical, scientific or other "informative" texts!)
I read through all the answers and didn't find anybody talking about ergonomics and lots of physical problems posed by typing and using computers(for extended hours a day, in a full-time professional way).Lets' put those all stuff about developed/undeveloped countries aside, and assume that translators can choose which way to adopt.
It's obviously the modern technology era, properly so-called. Computers help us in manifold and various ways, from allowing us to access the best dictionaries and search engines online to accelerated typing and editing procedures. But the bad news is that they can cause your body to injure in ways that are not perceptible. Please take a look at this Wikipedia article about just one of the dangers of excessive usage of computers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repetitive_strain_injury
You can also search about other hazards, especially for eyes.
Writing on paper, on the other hand, is a bit slower, requires more organization from your side and can cause your hands and fingers get hurt. But it's the traditional way in which many writers had written their material. (It seems that I'm in favor of this type!!) With paper you are more concentrated, you can extract more of your artistic repertoire, no icon or notification is there to attract you. The power of thought, of imagination, and of creativity, in my opinion, is more unleashed in this way!
In general, I'm not totally against the machines, for they have benefited many aspects of our lives. But my concern is about the "spirit" that's diminishing more and more. We don't have any of those genius writers in previous centuries, ask why...?
This is a long discussion and I just wanted to pose a question (though I provided my own ideas about it). If we think in this way, and consider the physical and psychological (or spiritual?) effects of excessive reliance on computers, which way do you prefer to choose? Of course, don't forget the type of text, for some of them are already spiritless!

Regards,
Ehsan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you prefer handwriting or typing?

Advanced search

Translation news

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs