Mobile menu

Do media make impact on our overall grammar and punctuation ability
Thread poster: Mrudula Tambe

Mrudula Tambe  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
English to Marathi
+ ...
Feb 21, 2006

Few days ago I used a long vowel in a word in the target language and which is my mothertounge and was the medium of education. Then he refered an advertise on television and one newspaper print to support his opinion. My word was grammatically correct so I shown his dictionary and he was satisfied.

Now the question remains whether media no matter electronic or print do not have any responsibility towards language? Because it is a mass media after all.

Even I saw tickers on the TV channels use impure language which affect the viewers in a long run.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-02-25 21:04]

Direct link Reply with quote
xxxNicky Jane
Local time: 09:27
Dutch to English
Perhaps the answer is to raise client awareness Feb 22, 2006

The media has such a huge impact on society that it is virtually impossible to prevent people from being influenced by it. And whether it has a responsibility towards maintaining linguistic standards, I don't believe so. I would prefer to see these trends as a reflection of society itself and the natural development of a language.

I admit that schools and colleges struggle constantly to teach students correct structures and raise standards.
At the same time, translators also have a responsibility to guide their clients and win their trust, so perhaps we need to educate our clients to understand that language is a tool and that we can shape it to fit our needs at any given moment, but that this requires skill and discernment.

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 09:27
+ ...
Don't trust the media Feb 22, 2006

In my view, the media cannot be relied on (any more?) when it comes to "proper" language. This is especially true for TV and the Internet. These seem to hold no respect for the value of a clear, correct and understandable language whatsoever.

The worst crimes against language, in my experience, are perpetrated by advertising agencies which of course use the media as their vehicle.

But even the actual programming nowadays is full with wrong spellings, grammatical nonsense and, of course, stupid translation mistakes. Just look at the ticker tape messages or background text in news shows.

And I am just about certain that the otherwise very educational and interesting BBC and discovery channel documentaries are not translated by professionals but instead by some guy who sits in the TV station's basement and does the translation besides his other tasks. (Unfortunately, they don't give us original language shows - everything that is broadcast over here is "translated" and dubbed in German.) Sometimes the shows are "overdubbed", i.e. you can hear an English or American native speaker talking in the background, and the translation is often clearly MILES off.

There's a big problem in this country with the fact that "everybody speaks English" and so a translator isn't really needed. Just watch MTV or Viva for an hour and hear for yourself how hilariously/outrageously ill-translated most shows are. Horrendous.

I could go on and on, but to make it short: I think the media are major contributors to the language-wise "dumbing down" of people everywhere and have lost any sense of responsibility that they may have had in the past.

jaswinder singh  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:57
English to Panjabi
+ ...
media make language look like an isolated Island Mar 3, 2006

I can understand what mridula say...

Media is basically talks about M, M and M only... Means MONEY, MONEY and MONEY... whatever brings money... Whether it is English or Hinglish or as a matter of fact PUNJHINGLISH(Punjabi+Hindi+English). For them language means a chawmin or recipie of all the words put together to make an impact of their intelligence and in return earning money...

Now a days, India is going global and in this, everybody is making their contribution. People oversees, who never used to understand their mother tongue, now like their tongue with little bit of salt and pepper.

I really some time wonder, why we people are so much attached with our mothertongue and its original beauty, in the world of make-up and fashion.

I sincerely wish that we should either read our rich heritage of literature or burn all the books- so that we can mourn and don't have to look back again and again for reference, what our language was and how many beautiful words, we have...

Even liguistics should not be part of this world, where instead of phonetics, stylistics or syntax of language, only client's wish or some so called expert's whim and fancy rules.

I have one example, I would like to share.
I was force to write 'vidhwa mard' in my language for 'widower', because the client was convinced that the apt and original word of our languages is offensive, i.e. 'randa' or 'randua'.

We make language and we break the language. And I think under the pretext of globallisation and harmony, we are going to loose out ours and our mothertongue's individuality.

[Edited at 2006-03-03 14:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do media make impact on our overall grammar and punctuation ability

Advanced search

Translation news

The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs