Anyone know about UK/US advertising adaptation?
Thread poster: misscaboo4
misscaboo4
misscaboo4
Local time: 07:15
Spanish to English
Mar 17, 2006

Hello!

I am posting this message on proz in the hope that someone can help me with a dissertation I am working on looking into how companies overcome different languages variants in their English advertising.

I am studying for a Masters in International Business to compliment my BA in French and Spanish. In keeping with my craze for languages I have decided to look into how marketing is adapted for countries which speak the same language (in this case English) but th
... See more
Hello!

I am posting this message on proz in the hope that someone can help me with a dissertation I am working on looking into how companies overcome different languages variants in their English advertising.

I am studying for a Masters in International Business to compliment my BA in French and Spanish. In keeping with my craze for languages I have decided to look into how marketing is adapted for countries which speak the same language (in this case English) but the cultures are different. I am looking to compare how marketing and advertising is changed (if at all!) for the British and American marketplace and my research so far has come up with very little information. I do have some interesting insights into the two cultures and into how advertising has been changed, or not– but it seems that just a few companies and researchers have discussed this academically.

If anyone has any industry insights, contacts or knows of any academic research where I could get more information on this I would be very interested to hear from you. I am about to look into approaching companies both in the UK and America to do my primary research and this would really help me.

Thanks very much!

Catherine
Collapse

Patricia Lane
Patricia Lane  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:15
French to English
+ ...
One lead Mar 25, 2006

Catherine,

Here is one lead that should get you on a bit of a roll.

http://www.stephweb.com/capstone/beer.shtml

Regards,

Patricia

misscaboo4
misscaboo4
Local time: 07:15
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Mar 28, 2006

hi Patricia

thanks very much. It matches up with some other information I have and has given me some more ideas.

Catherine

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Anyone know about UK/US advertising adaptation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »