How translation teams work
Thread poster: Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:06
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 6, 2006

I am interested in the question already posted a few days by Ivana Micheli on translation teams.
This is not an invitation to join a team, but rather a question to members of other teams on how thay have organised themselves within their teams, on their internal rules, etc.
Is someone available to share their experience on this?

Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch
Matthias Quaschning-Kirsch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Swedish to German
+ ...
Translation teams Apr 6, 2006

I do a lot of work together with a certain colleague. Mostly, I translate and she corrects. All the work is done with Trados. We were sending mails there and back with the newest versions of translated/corrected documents.
It is a miracle that it worked with so few problems. However, finally we were forced to reform our system, because we wanted to have a TM which we could share permanently and update in real time. We established a VPN (the cheapest solution; you only need a router or appr
... See more
I do a lot of work together with a certain colleague. Mostly, I translate and she corrects. All the work is done with Trados. We were sending mails there and back with the newest versions of translated/corrected documents.
It is a miracle that it worked with so few problems. However, finally we were forced to reform our system, because we wanted to have a TM which we could share permanently and update in real time. We established a VPN (the cheapest solution; you only need a router or appropriate VPN software), which is really hard configuration work if you want it to be not only VN, but even P. A fast broadband Internet access is indispensible (at least 128 kbit upload!). One of us hosts the TM, the documents to be translated are always on the translator's computer, so that the only data to exchange via the network are the continuos updates for the TM. The performance is sufficient for a small team (not more than 3 persons, i think).
With larger teams, I do not have any experiences.
I hope this will help a little bit.

Best regards,
Matthias
Collapse

Anna Ryden (X)
Anna Ryden (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Swedish
+ ...
Ideal setup Apr 9, 2006

MatthiasQKirsch wrote:

Mostly, I translate and she corrects.

Now, this is exactly the kind of setup I would need, but how does the money-thing work? Do you accept a job, and then part of the fee goes to your collegue? Or do you offer services together, i.e. the agency accepts your collegue as proofreader and pays her directly? Sorry if I'm too curious!

Compliments on the VPN, must have been really hard work.

regards
Anna Ryden

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How translation teams work

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »