Thread poster: Teresa Reinhardt
Teresa Reinhardt  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:05
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Apr 15, 2006

I have been asked to translate a game. Client does not know what type of file he should send me; he'll "have to type the text out". I am wondering if those with more experience in game translation can suggest if there is a simpler way. Wouldn't whatever software they use to write their code/game with also have an option for spitting out a file that could be used for translation?
Any enlightenment appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:05
English to Czech
+ ...
Standard file type for game translations Apr 15, 2006

The client should have thought about that in advance. The standard (and CAT-friendly) formats would be XML or resource files. It is also possible to convert just about any source text file into RTF/DOC and mark the untranslatable text with styles.

Another way is to make a list of the translatable strings. This is not so good, because there is usually no context, unless the client adds some descriptive variable names, comments, screenshots or maybe the game itself.

United States
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Hynek! Apr 15, 2006

I appreciate your taking the time to explain this (if it's OK with you, I'll also forward your answer to the client (for next time).
I was afraid someone would say that ("should have thought about that before...") - that's the problem when you work with clients that don't have the experience.
BUT - fortunately, I do have the game; a trial version is actually downloadable.

Thanks again!
Teresa

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 19:05
English to Czech
+ ...
More info Apr 17, 2006

Teresa, sure, you can forward my answer, even though it's not too elaborate.

There are several localization guides, for example:
A Guide to Localization Management
The Guide to Translation and Localization — Preparing for the Global Marketplace

Since you have the game, a simple list of the strings will probably do fine. But it's more difficult for the client to prepare and use. The best would be a (re)source file, properly formatted for use with a CAT tool.

United States
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again, Hynek! Apr 17, 2006

As you said, that's what the client should have done _before_...

Best regards,
Teresa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Standard file type for game translations

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums