https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/45855-citing_a_book_by_way_of_a_photocopy.html

Citing a book by way of a photocopy...
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 12:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 25, 2006

I'm writing my graduate thesis (in English), and I have to explain the methods I used in the translation part of the thesis (the translation into Spanish of a Noam Chomsky book is only one of the chapters).

For reference, I have the Spanish version of Peter Newmark's book, A Textbook of Translation (translated by Virgilio Moya).

But I also have a photocopy of Chapter 8 of the same book, this time in the English version.
... See more
I'm writing my graduate thesis (in English), and I have to explain the methods I used in the translation part of the thesis (the translation into Spanish of a Noam Chomsky book is only one of the chapters).

For reference, I have the Spanish version of Peter Newmark's book, A Textbook of Translation (translated by Virgilio Moya).

But I also have a photocopy of Chapter 8 of the same book, this time in the English version.

How do I cite this photocopy in the bibliography section?

Since I don't have any (complete) style guides at hand, I'm more or less using the Chicago Manual of Style's web version: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/cmosfaq/cmosfaq.html But I cannot find anything there that relates to citing photocopies.

Not only in the bibliography section, but in the end notes. For instance, I have a section in which I'm describing one of the methods I use, and I'm quoting the book verbatim (as it appears in the English version photocopy). So I want to insert an end note that points to the English version of the book.

But since it's a photocopy, I don't have the bibliographic data (year of publication and so on).

Could you please help this very confused and tired colleague?

Thanks a lot!

[Edited at 2006-04-25 23:48]
Collapse

Paul Merriam
Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
Russian to English
+ ...
What kind of photocopy? Apr 25, 2006

Two possibilities:

a. If you have no reason to believe that the photocopy says something different from the original, why not simply quote the English version as your source?

b. If you don't have enough information to do that, you could simply put in your footnote "Taken from a photocopy of Chapter 8, graciously provided by XXX for consultation" or something along those lines. You don't need to identify the person by name, calling XXX a "colleague" or some equally va
... See more
Two possibilities:

a. If you have no reason to believe that the photocopy says something different from the original, why not simply quote the English version as your source?

b. If you don't have enough information to do that, you could simply put in your footnote "Taken from a photocopy of Chapter 8, graciously provided by XXX for consultation" or something along those lines. You don't need to identify the person by name, calling XXX a "colleague" or some equally vague label will do.
Collapse

Susana Galilea
Susana Galilea  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
According to Amazon... Apr 26, 2006

Publisher is Prentice Hall, and year of publication is October 1988

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0139125930/103-8192153-7173409?v=glance&n=283155

Hope this helps

Susana

P.S. I have also found an earlier edition published by Pearson Engl
... See more
Publisher is Prentice Hall, and year of publication is October 1988

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0139125930/103-8192153-7173409?v=glance&n=283155

Hope this helps

Susana

P.S. I have also found an earlier edition published by Pearson English Language Teaching in November 1987

[Edited at 2006-04-26 00:20]
Collapse

María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Su :) Apr 26, 2006

But I was wondering if, when citing a photocopy, I just have to add the word "photocopy" at the end of the bibliographical data.

What do the style guides have to say about citing this type of (non-original?) information?

Thanks

Jackie Bowman
Jackie Bowman

Spanish to English
+ ...
Using photocopies and citations Apr 26, 2006

As far as I know, CMS ed. 15 is silent on this question. One of the points of providing academic citations is that they allow readers to do their own research and follow-up reading, on the basis of the sources you provide. It doesn’t matter to them that you used a photocopy. What matters is the bibliographical information on the source text: author, title, place of publication, publisher, page number(s) if appropriate (depending on whether this is for a bibliography or a footnote), and so on. ... See more
As far as I know, CMS ed. 15 is silent on this question. One of the points of providing academic citations is that they allow readers to do their own research and follow-up reading, on the basis of the sources you provide. It doesn’t matter to them that you used a photocopy. What matters is the bibliographical information on the source text: author, title, place of publication, publisher, page number(s) if appropriate (depending on whether this is for a bibliography or a footnote), and so on.

The most important thing you need to determine is which edition of the book you used in photocopied form. As Susana Galilea has pointed out, there are at least two editions. Conceivably, the sections of the different editions might have different page numbers – paperback versions might have a different format, and therefore the page numbering will differ from the hardcover version; or the author might have written an extended introduction to a second edition, which could change the numbering thereafter.

Professional academic researchers use masses of photocopies, but you never see an indication of that in their bibliographies. The trick is simply always to remember to note the bibliographical data on the photocopy when you have the original book in your hand – i.e., at the time you make the copy.

Sorry I can’t help more. Best of luck …
Collapse

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
Local time: 19:09
English to German
Don't state "photocopy" Apr 26, 2006

But I was wondering if, when citing a photocopy, I just have to add the word "photocopy" at the end of the bibliographical data.

Definitely not. It's still the same book. Anyone who wants to read it, must recur to the book, not to your photocopy. (It would be different if you got it off the Web, e.g. an electronic version of a journal paper off Project MUSE - your readers could recur to that source instead of the printed book.)

Lanna Rustage
Lanna Rustage  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:09
Spanish to English
Try Google book search Apr 26, 2006

Try Google book search if you still cant find the page books.google.com/

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)
Rosa Maria Duenas Rios (X)  Identity Verified
Agree with Jack's comment. Apr 26, 2006

But also, in principle, we should not be photocopying books, but buying them (for obvious copyright reasons).

On the other hand, we all know that a lot of people rely on this (the photocopies), I probably completed half of my university studies on photocopies.

Besides no guidelines on the subject, I believe that another reason why there are no bibliographical notes quoting photocopies is because people will not want to formally recognize such practice, in view of any le
... See more
But also, in principle, we should not be photocopying books, but buying them (for obvious copyright reasons).

On the other hand, we all know that a lot of people rely on this (the photocopies), I probably completed half of my university studies on photocopies.

Besides no guidelines on the subject, I believe that another reason why there are no bibliographical notes quoting photocopies is because people will not want to formally recognize such practice, in view of any legal implications it might have.

[Edited at 2006-04-26 13:51]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Citing a book by way of a photocopy...

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »