Mobile menu

How do YOU count words on websites?
Thread poster: xxxZareah
xxxZareah  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Aug 19, 2002

I was wondering what to do when you\'re asked to estimate the cost of a website translation. Do you copy it into Word? Do you estimate the word count? Let me know - would be interesting to hear about different ways.

Have a nice day everyone,

Nadine

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-19 21:23 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Joeri Van Liefferinge  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:20
English to Dutch
+ ...
WebBudget Aug 20, 2002

I use the word count in Déjà Vu, but if you don\'t have Déjà Vu, you can use WebBudget (www.webbudget.com). There\'s also a free download version (FreeBudget), but I think that version does not count html files. It\'s good for Word documents and a few other popular file types, though.

HTH

Joeri

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
So einfach... Aug 20, 2002

Hallo Nadine,

... kann es gehen:

Im Internet Explorer 6.0 ist eine Funktion unter Datei: Bearbeiten mit Microsoft Word.

Nachdem die Webseite in Word geöffnet wurde, stehen die üblichen Word-Funktionen zur Verfügung.

Viel Erfolg damit

Geneviève

Anaviva  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
WebStripper and WebBudget Aug 20, 2002

I download the files on my computer using WebStripper and then count the words using WebBudget. The only problem with WebStripper is that Flash sites don\'t download well. I have yet to found a program that lets you count words on Flash sites. If any has, I\'d like to know.

Hope this helps.

Ana

José Luis Villanueva-Senchuk  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 02:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
:-) Good link... Aug 20, 2002

The link you provided is a great alternative.

Cheers, :-9

JL

Erika Pavelka  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:20
French to English
Important note Aug 20, 2002

Hi Nadine,

If a client asks you to give an estimate for a website translation, make sure that they send you the files. There is just too much room for error - how are you supposed to know exactly which files they want translated? Imagine: you do the translation, then find out you translated pages that weren\'t supposed to be, and didn\'t do the ones that were.

FWIW,

Erika

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:20
English to Finnish
+ ...
Use the Analyse function in Trados... Aug 23, 2002

...(if you use Trados) to count the words in the htm files you get from your client.

Minna

xeon
English
HTML wordcount Oct 2, 2003

make sure you check the HTML source carefully as you might need to translate also:

meta tags
alt tags
javascript text embedded in the page
external javascript files
images

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do YOU count words on websites?

Advanced search

Translation news

Lilt
Translators like you are producing higher quality translations faster with Lilt!

After years of research at Stanford University, Lilt has introduced a revolutionary new tool that will change the way you translate. Lilt learns how you translate to give you more personalized suggestions. Be more productive today! Use it FOR FREE!

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs