Thread poster: Riccardo Schiaffino

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:53
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 2, 2006

Working with Trados and MS Word, I often use MS Word's wildcard searches.

Wildcard searches, however, may be fairly complicated.

I have written a couple of articles on this subject: one on how to use wildcard searches to make sure that numbers are formatted properly (i.e., that "1,425,951.23" in English becomes "1.425.951,23" in Italian), another one to help verifying the capitalization of words after .mif files index markers.

If you are interested, you can read my articles at the following addresses:

Please let me know if you find these articles useful, or any suggestions on how to improve them.

[Edited at 2006-05-02 18:40]

Direct link Reply with quote

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:53
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Thanks Riccardo, May 3, 2006

Your articles are clearly written. But I and probably most other Word users are afraid of using any general "replace all" step, even if the function is as well defined as in your examples. I would still replace the commas inside numbers by running the simple replace function and replace one comma at the time.
But now I know at least how to restrict my search to numbers. Thank you!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:53
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Highlight one page at a time May 3, 2006

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
But I and probably most other Word users are afraid of using any general "replace all" step, even if the function is as well defined as in your examples.

One solution might be to do one page at a time. To perform the S/R on one page only, highlight that page before launching the S/R dialog.

Gary Daine
English to Spanish
+ ...
Highlight for safety May 3, 2006

When doing large-scale search/replace, it is often a good idea to highlight all terms replaced. This way you can get the best of both worlds: avoid having to replace each item individually, and be able to scan the entire document very quickly to check that everything went well.
To do this, make sure the cursor is in the Replace box, and select Highlight from the Format menu.
To remove highlighting afterwards, simply select the whole document (Ctrl-E/Ctrl-A, depending on the locale), click the highlight toolbar button, and select None.
(The only time you can't do this is when you already have highlighting in the document.)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wildcard Searches in MS Word

Advanced search

Translation news

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs