Mobile menu

Trans. articles (wouldn't it result in a huge paper?)
Thread poster: Hellen Varela-Fdez.

Hellen Varela-Fdez.  Identity Verified
Costa Rica
Local time: 13:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 18, 2006

Let's see if you can give me a hand... I need to make 2 decisions!

I am translating (Sp-En) an annual report that would be published in the Internet. One of the sections is "Publicaciones", following are the subtitles: Libros,
Artículos, Revistas, Cuadernos de Investigación, etc. (each category includes a list of texts… many texts!!!).

I left in Spanish the only Spanish book of the list (but I translated the title in another section of the report where it was mentioned). Each title (books, articles, working papers) comes with the name of the author, the year, etc., similar to a bibliography.

In relation to the articles: I guess it would be useful to translate the list of articles and working papers because potential collaborators will know what the articles are about. My problem is that, to me, leaving the Spanish version, followed by my translation in brackets, makes the list too cumbersome.

I need to make a decision:

1. Leave just the Spanish titles.
2. Leave the Spanish titles followed by the English version in brackets.
3. Leave the Spanish titles and make a “reference sheet” at the end to include all those titles.
4. Leave just my English version

I like the idea to make a “reference sheet” at the end, because I would include a glossary of acronyms, because there are many acronyms in the text and explaining each one of them throughout the report will make it huge!!!!.

My second decision is related to style: The list of articles was not ordered as they are supposed to be in a bibliography (I know this is not a bibliography, it is just a list… but… at the end… IT IS a bibliography). Authors are mentioned at the beginning in some of the articles, or at the end, in others. Years are at the beginning as well, or at the end! Should I order the information according to the MLA, for instance?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trans. articles (wouldn't it result in a huge paper?)

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs