Page for page formatting
Thread poster: David MAROTE

David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:48
Member (2006)
English to French
May 24, 2006

I have come across this term and I have got no idea what it means. Does anyone use it or know what it means?

Thanks for your 2-cents

[Edited at 2006-05-24 11:18]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-05-24 12:46]

Direct link Reply with quote

KLS
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same layout as original May 24, 2006

Depends on the context but if we are talking about the instructions accompanying a translation job, it means that your translation should be laid out in such a way as to mirror the layout of the original as far as possible, i.e. same font and font size, same spacing between lines, same margins, etc etc etc.

My two cents!

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 15:48
Member (2004)
English to Greek
+ ...
Page for Page Formatting means May 24, 2006

That the target pages should be formatted exactly and contain the same text as the source.

At least this is what we mean in Greece.

Have a nice day!

David MAROTE
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP May 24, 2006

I am greatful for your answers.

It's a lot clearer now, thanks.

Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to French
a little bit of extra explanation... May 24, 2006

As Nadia outlined it, "page for page" formatting, most often called copyfitting, is a requirement for your DTP work in the target language to match the layout and most importantly pagination of the source document.

Many languages are longer than English (for instance, French is typically between 10% and 20% longer depending on context), and achieving copyfitting is not always an easy task if the "extra space" needed had not been planned for and reserved previously.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Page for page formatting

Advanced search

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs