Thread poster: paulagoes

paulagoes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 25, 2006

Hi, Everyone!

I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question, but any help would be most welcome.

I have been working as a volunteer for the Million Artists Project (, that has been recently advertised with Proz. Me and a fellow translator are in charge of the Brazilian Portuguese version.

The question is about translating or not the brand name. As you may know, hardly any Brazilian can speak English, and as the project is aimed at raising funds for medical charities, the more people we get into it, the better.

On the other hand, the URL will not be translated and it may sound like, in our language, a "Who wants to be a millionaire" kind of thing.

We have approached them with the question and they have left it up to us. Other languages, such as Chinese and Russian, will have it translated.

What would you do?

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Ulrike Walpert  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
English to German
+ ...
Leave it as it is May 25, 2006

Hi Paula,

I did the German translation of it an left it as as it is the name of the website.

As it is described later what this project means, it is understandable to the readers (in your case Brasilians).

Should you have any further questions, you may also contact me by e-mail.

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translating it... May 25, 2006

Hi Paula!
As you know I always go for translating it if this case I guess it woudn't sound too bad in Portuguese....even if the url will not be translated. This way people in Brasil will feel it is something closer to them....
Good luck....I guess it is up to you at the end of the day..
take care.

paulagoes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Thanks for replying! May 25, 2006

Just a quick note.

I image my mum, who is a competent web surfer but a hopeless English speaker, trying to google million and mixing it up: milhion, milion, etc..

Thanks for helping. Let's see what other people think and we will go for the majority.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:52
English to French
+ ...
I say translate it May 25, 2006

If it's not a registered name, you are free to translate it. However, if it IS registered, then the translated version will also need to be registered.

In light of what you explained, I would translate it. In such cases, it is extremely important to take in consideration the cultural factor. The point is, as you have said, that if people don't understand or misunderstand, they will not beinterested. But if you do translate, and they are intrigued by a version in their own language - that they can already relate to much more easily - then they will probably be more attracted to the project.

So, I'd say translate it. Especially since this phrase is easy to translate into any latin language.

Let us know what you decide in the end.

Good luck!

Gabriel Vallecillo  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
interesting... May 25, 2006

Another option is to have both names separated by a slash, or one of them in parenthesisi, but have the Portuguese, it will mean more money for the charity for sure.

Seadeta Osmani  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:52
English to Croatian
+ ...
I have been working with the same text May 26, 2006

Translating the web site into Croatian, I left the brand name untranslated, because the text actually explains in detail over and over again what the whole project is about.

But, yes, the dilemma was there...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating brand names - Million Artists

Advanced search

Translation news

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs