Proofreading in html /sharing changes?
Thread poster: m_Chanoine
m_Chanoine
Local time: 04:55
French to Spanish
+ ...
May 31, 2006

Dear Prozians,

How are you proofreading html documents?

I need to suggest improvement to an existing files containing quite a lot of formatting. For this reason, I cannot work on the “saved as text” document.
I can work on the html file but then how the client will find the changes?
I tried to open the html file with Word but the result is unusable.

Any suggestions are welcome. I only see - at the moment - the possibility to work on paper.

MM

Direct link Reply with quote

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:55
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
By editing the html file directly May 31, 2006

m_Chanoine wrote:
How are you proofreading html documents?

I need to suggest improvement to an existing files containing quite a lot of formatting. For this reason, I cannot work on the “saved as text” document.
I can work on the html file but then how the client will find the changes?
I tried to open the html file with Word but the result is unusable.

I think the cleanest way is to work directly within the html document (the one that's saved as text). I'm saying it's the "cleanest" because if you edit the file using e.g. Front Page Editor (which makes it look like a word document and spares you the extra code), it will add lots of unnecessary overhead (e.g. extra tags); and if your client has created his site in pure html without using any such editors, he won't be very happy.
Then, if he wants to see your changes, he can copy-paste the original text (from the page as it appears in the web browser) to a Word document, and then the target in another Word document, and use the 'compare documents' feature in Word.

If you do not want to edit the html file (either in Wordpad or with Tag Editor) but only want to see the text as it appears in the web browser, open the file in your browser (don't "open with Word") and select and copy the text to Word (and then make your changes with "Track Changes" enabled). But in that case your job will be incomplete. You or someone else will have to incorporate those changes into the html code later on.

Maria

[Editado a las 2006-05-31 19:36]

m_Chanoine
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are right, Maria! Jun 1, 2006

I put at the same moment a similar question to a web design forum. You can see the answer under:
http://www.desktoppublishingforum.com/bb/showthread.php?t=2479

Next to your suggested solution, it seems that there is a special html tags for this purpose
but this require to work with the codes.

Thank you again
Michel

Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:55
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
tags Jun 1, 2006

m_Chanoine wrote:
Next to your suggested solution, it seems that there is a special html tags for this purpose
< del > ... < /del >
< ins > ... < /ins >
but this require to work with the codes.

Yes, these tags are great for showing insertions and deletions (you use "del" for strike-though text; I think this tag used to be called "strike"). It's not too complicated, but again you (or the client) will have to go back and remove the extra text because you don't want the final page to show strike-through text. It's not as easy as accepting all changes in Word's "Track changes" feature. You have to remove them manually, one by one. If you really don't feel comfortable editing the code, just copy-paste the text from your browser to Word, make the changes you want, and then let the client and his webmaster deal with incorporating the changes to the html document. But first make sure your client agrees with this process.
Good luck!
Maria

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
HTML -> PDF, then Acrobat's Comments tools Jun 5, 2006

If you just need to suggest corrections, rather than implementing them, I'd use PDF and PDF comments:
- Save the HTML file as PDF
- Use Acrobat's Comments tools (highlighter, note, ellipse are the ones I use most often, but there are also the delete or insert text tools) to add all your comments, just as you would do on paper (to add a note after highlighting or circling text, right-click on the mark and choose Open pop-up note [or similar command, I'm translating it from my Italian Acrobat], to get a note linked to the highlighted or circled text.)

Hope this helps,
Roberta

[Edited at 2006-06-05 07:22]

m_Chanoine
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jun 23, 2006

Dear Roberta,

this seems a very good solution to my needs. I will try it.
Thank you very much.
MM

m_Chanoine
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to convert HTML to PDF? Jun 28, 2006

Dear Roberta,

Thank you very much for your indication. Unfortunately, I am stuck from the first step as I do not know how to convert HTML to PDF. Browsers as well as Dreamweaver do not allow to save pages as PDF and the Adobe site does not seems to have a solution for it.

Do you (or other colleagues) know of a freeware HTML to PDF converter?

Thank you in advance.
Kindest regards
MM

Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Print to Adobe PDF (in browser); File > Create PDF > From Web Page (in Acrobat) Jun 28, 2006

Hi MM

If you are thinking of using it Comments tools, I assume you have Acrobat. When installing Acrobat, a virtual printer should have been installed in your system, called "Adobe PDF".

In you browser, choose File > Print, then choose Adobe PDF from the printers list.

Alternatively, from Acrobat itself use File > Create PDF > From Web Page (I'm translating from my Italian Acrobat - actual command name might differ slightly) and choose the HTML file either from your hard disk (using the Browse button in this dialog box) or from the URL (typing it in the URL box).

Hope this helps,
Roberta

m_Chanoine
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great Jul 5, 2006

Dear Roberta,

Thank you very much for your concise but very exact description of the solutions you proposed.

To create a PDF file, I have the choice in my browser between Acrobat Writer and Acrobat Distiller, but the rsults are the same. My colleagues say that the writer is better as it gives an exact "graphic" of the page.

When I save first the complete HTML and then open it in Acrobat and save as PDF, the URL links are kept. I didi not try direct from the web, which I found under tools (I am susing Acrobat 4).

Definitively, by working on PDF file the highlighting combined with note is the best tool. It is quicker and fits better my purpose as working on the html code with or tags.

Again, thank you very much for having shared your experience.
Michel

Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
a couple of tips Jul 6, 2006

I'm glad you find it useful Michel!

I should have specified my instructions referred to Acrobat 7, so it will be a bit different with other versions.

A little caveat:
If you need to highlight a link text, you might have difficulty as the mouse over the link might activate the link and prevent you from inserting your comment. I such cases I use the Oval or Rectangle comment tool, and start dragging from a little distance away from the link.

Another useful little thing: to go over comments that are already in the file, instead of scrolling page to page looking for them, open the Comments palette and click on the comments listed to go straight to that comment.

[As for the difference between PDF Writer and Distiller: both in fact create exact "graphic" of the page. However with Distiller it's possible to set resolution and other options, while PDF Writer saves a PDF with basic settings, so that is perfect for revision.]

Happy commenting,
Roberta

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in html /sharing changes?

Advanced search

Translation news

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs