https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/48827-why_do_i_love_translating.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Why do i love translating?
Thread poster: babycheeks
babycheeks
babycheeks  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:32
English to Albanian
+ ...
Jun 2, 2006

The first time i ever interpreted was when i was only 12 years old and i only knew a little bit of English. Being born in a comunist country I had never heard the expression"God bless you" in Albanian so when one of our guests used it i had to adopt it in albanian to explain it to my family. It was during this interpreting experience that i realized how much i wanted to help people understand each other.
Why do you love this profession?

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:32
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
For many reasons. Jun 3, 2006

I remember being told a long time ago that the word "promise" had different meanings according to differente peoples. In many regions a "promise" could be broken and nothing happened (I mean, it was only a "minor fault" for the person who broke the promise). For other peoples, to break a promise was something unforgivable.
That was a very important discovery for me. And I wanted to know about other peoples and other languages.

And I enjoy every time I translate because I thi
... See more
I remember being told a long time ago that the word "promise" had different meanings according to differente peoples. In many regions a "promise" could be broken and nothing happened (I mean, it was only a "minor fault" for the person who broke the promise). For other peoples, to break a promise was something unforgivable.
That was a very important discovery for me. And I wanted to know about other peoples and other languages.

And I enjoy every time I translate because I think that someone will be able to read a text otherwise impossible to be read, and I don't mind if it is a handbook, a news item or a book.

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Chiselling out sentences Jun 3, 2006

teaches you something all the time and enriches your understanding of what people say:

New meanings
New facets
New nuances

This never ending discovery tour envigorates your brain and your senses and makes every day worth living

[Edited at 2006-06-04 03:41]

Silvina Matheu
Silvina Matheu  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feel the same Jun 3, 2006

Mats Wiman wrote:

teaches you something all the time and enriches you understanding of what people say:

New meanings
New facets
New nuances

This never ending discovery tour envigorates your brain and your senses and makes every day worth living

Couldn't describe it better.

babycheeks
babycheeks  Identity Verified
English to Albanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"promise", a good example... Jun 3, 2006

Clarisa,

You mentioned a very interesting word: "promise". This word has different meaning for different cultures. "Promise" is translated "besë" in albanian. The Albanian culture treats this word, or should i say the notion it implies, as holy. There is a very old Albanian tale that shows what power carries this word to an albanian man named Kostandin. Kostandin had a young sister, Doruntina, who got married in a very far away country. The day she got married Kostandin promised
... See more
Clarisa,

You mentioned a very interesting word: "promise". This word has different meaning for different cultures. "Promise" is translated "besë" in albanian. The Albanian culture treats this word, or should i say the notion it implies, as holy. There is a very old Albanian tale that shows what power carries this word to an albanian man named Kostandin. Kostandin had a young sister, Doruntina, who got married in a very far away country. The day she got married Kostandin promised his younger sister that in three years he would bring her back to their mother. In the following year Konstandin and his brothers (11 brothers), had to go to war to protect their country. It so happened that all of the brothers, to include Konstandin, died in the war. Poor old mother has nobody left to even talk to. Every time she goes by Konstandin's grave, she cries and calls his name outloud, reminding him of his broken promise. On the night of excatly three years since Doruntina's wedding day, Konstandin rises up from his grave and he travels 7 days and 7 nights to his sister's house.
He tells his sister he doesn't have time to come in or even greet his brother in law. So Doruntina leaves a note to her husband and off they are in their journey back.
When they finally make it to the house Konstandin leaves his sister at the gate and tells her to go in first. He then goes back to his grave to rest in peace, having fullfilled his promise.

Amazing, isn't it?
Collapse

Krys Williams
Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:32
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
It doesn't feel like work Jun 3, 2006

I enjoy translating because most of the time it feels more like playing a game or doing a cryptic crossword than like working. Although I "work" far longer hours than I ever did before, the stress I felt in the bad old days when I was employed as a scientist has gone. Of course, the freedom and flexibility of working from home helps too, since I can take time off and have holidays away as often as I like.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Translation is art Jun 4, 2006

I feel translation as a kind of art, when I translate I feel happy, I really feel as a bridge for ideas from a language to another.......

No, not just a bridge, more than this, a bridge is static, we are alive and active, according to the Latin root of "translate" we act as carriers across bridges (bridges from a languange to another)

It is my job, but I could also do it for free if necessary, when I can't translate I feel sad, ( like a musician who can't play)
... See more
I feel translation as a kind of art, when I translate I feel happy, I really feel as a bridge for ideas from a language to another.......

No, not just a bridge, more than this, a bridge is static, we are alive and active, according to the Latin root of "translate" we act as carriers across bridges (bridges from a languange to another)

It is my job, but I could also do it for free if necessary, when I can't translate I feel sad, ( like a musician who can't play)

I am sure that most of us have the same feeling I have, even if I know that someone (not the majority) translates just to earn money, and judges fellows translators who don't act as he/she does or would like to do.
Well money is important I know, but I couldnt do this job just for money.

As I have written in my profile "Fallen in love with languages" and this is what I am

Bye bye

Angio
Collapse

Shaojie Huang
Shaojie Huang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 05:32
Chinese to English
+ ...
Beautiful story! Jun 5, 2006

Thanks.

babycheeks wrote:

Clarisa,

You mentioned a very interesting word: "promise". This word has different meaning for different cultures. "Promise" is translated "besë" in albanian. The Albanian culture treats this word, or should i say the notion it implies, as holy. There is a very old Albanian tale that shows what power carries this word to an albanian man named Kostandin. Kostandin had a young sister, Doruntina, who got married in a very far away country. The day she got married Kostandin promised his younger sister that in three years he would bring her back to their mother. In the following year Konstandin and his brothers (11 brothers), had to go to war to protect their country. It so happened that all of the brothers, to include Konstandin, died in the war. Poor old mother has nobody left to even talk to. Every time she goes by Konstandin's grave, she cries and calls his name outloud, reminding him of his broken promise. On the night of excatly three years since Doruntina's wedding day, Konstandin rises up from his grave and he travels 7 days and 7 nights to his sister's house.
He tells his sister he doesn't have time to come in or even greet his brother in law. So Doruntina leaves a note to her husband and off they are in their journey back.
When they finally make it to the house Konstandin leaves his sister at the gate and tells her to go in first. He then goes back to his grave to rest in peace, having fullfilled his promise.

Amazing, isn't it?

Shaojie Huang
Shaojie Huang  Identity Verified
China
Chinese to English
+ ...
Agree with Krys Jun 5, 2006

Every time I translate Chinese to English, I feel the same way (yes, I confess to this "perverse" like for translating into this foreign language instead of the other way round). I feel I am doing some creative job and this feeling is great.

Krys Bottrill wrote:

I enjoy translating because most of the time it feels more like playing a game or doing a cryptic crossword than like working.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same feeling :) Jun 5, 2006

Shaojie Huang wrote:Every time I translate Chinese to English, I feel the same way (yes, I confess to this "perverse" like for translating into this foreign language instead of the other way round). I feel I am doing some creative job and this feeling is great

When I translate into English (foreign language)

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:32
English to French
+ ...
Helping people to understand each other Jun 7, 2006

To me, it's about being a mobile link in a chain - every time a chain is broken, I get inbetween and the chain is fixed. It's good to know that I was able to help these people get their messages across.

Also, something I did not expect but was happy to discover on the way is the HUGE amounts of knowledge that you get from translating. Every time I translate something, I learn something new. Not just about language, but about a gazillion trades, technologies, philosophies, laws, cult
... See more
To me, it's about being a mobile link in a chain - every time a chain is broken, I get inbetween and the chain is fixed. It's good to know that I was able to help these people get their messages across.

Also, something I did not expect but was happy to discover on the way is the HUGE amounts of knowledge that you get from translating. Every time I translate something, I learn something new. Not just about language, but about a gazillion trades, technologies, philosophies, laws, cultures... It's funny, when I was younger, I always thought the best profession for me would be - professional student! I wanted to never work and spend my life going to school - and museums and other places where people learn. By accident, I got to do just that - through translation!
Collapse

Tanja Meiers
Tanja Meiers  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
songtexts Jun 14, 2006

I started translating when I wanted to understand songtexts better and make my friends understand them. Now I'm sometimes getting on their nerves..."Don't translate EVERYTHING!"

Anna Cannary
Anna Cannary
English to French
Great story Jan 11, 2007

Majlinda, The Story about Konstandin and Doruntina is a great story. Do you happen to have the whole story translated. I would love to read it to my boys. Thanks, Anna

AleksandraGr
AleksandraGr
English
translations Jan 14, 2007

I started to study translation few years ago.I wasn't sure if this is something for me till last year.I went to England as an au-pair and I met many polish people that couldn't speak english at all.They asked me for help,to translate sth for them or to ask sb for sth!Then I fell in love with translation!I am so proud of it.

Milton Guo
Milton Guo  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Freedom-giver Mar 4, 2008

Just like most of you, I loved building a bridge across different languages and cultures at the beginning, but now the main reason for me is translation can give me the freedom, away from the 9-5 grind in a tiny office, away from the worries of being late for work.....

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why do i love translating?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »