Mobile menu

Transcription: ¿Need of a foot petal or specific elements?
Thread poster: Ruben Mendez Suarez

Ruben Mendez Suarez
Local time: 20:22
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jun 9, 2006

A company has told me to transcribe a set of mp3/ audio digital format files but I have never done transcrition before.
Should I refuse the job just because I have never done something like that before?
Is there a need for a foot petal and specific software in order to make a transcription?
Anyone can sintetize how a transcription process is done?

Thanks in advance for your help and answers!

Direct link Reply with quote

Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:22
French to Spanish
+ ...
Don't need a foot peTal... Jun 9, 2006

...because I don't think you're a florist, nor a foot peDal.

Hi there.

Forgive my joke.

I don't think this is too difficult. I've done it, quite a lot, with casset and VHS (Old times).

Just hear 1, 2 or 3 sentences (of course, good memory is a plus), stop audio, go to Word, write it down, rewind audio, check audio with transcription, go on with 1, 2 or 3 sentences, and so on. That's it. Final check, of course.

Foot pedal is shurely fine for non-stop work, but this is not your case. There are voice-recognition softwares, of course, but still quite expensive and kind of difficult to use: you must "train it".

Go for it, and good luck.

Te hubiera contestado en español, pero como preguntaste en inglés, pues venga, y disculpa si no escribo bien en ese idioma.

[Editado a las 2006-06-09 01:50]

Nadia-Anastasia Fahmi  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:22
English to Greek
+ ...
My experience.... Jun 9, 2006

I use Windows Media Player, which enables me to go back and forth everytime I miss something or if something is not clear.

It works fine. Try it and let me know if you have any problems, I'll be happy to help.

Wenke Geddert  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Winamp Jun 9, 2006

I use Winamp for all of my (digital) transcription work. It's a fantastic programme for this kind of work and it can be downloaded from the Internet, free of charge. (basic player)

You only use the actual keyboard keys, no additional equipment (like foot pedals) are required.

Hope this helps.

[Edited at 2006-06-09 07:48]

आनंद  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:52
English to Hindi
There are software to help in this regard Jun 9, 2006

Dear Ruben,

There are various softwares available. I have used one of them and it is available in net. You can download it.

It will compatible with various sound file formats and gives options of rewinding, slow & fast audio speed etc. The FootPedal is also available which you have to purchase. You can explore many things in the link :

[Edited at 2006-06-09 08:06]

xxxNicolette Ri
Local time: 21:22
French to Dutch
+ ...
Or ExpressScribe Jun 9, 2006
No footpedals needed, but if you want you can adapt them. But earphones are very comfortable.
By the way, 1 h of speaking (of a conferences, for instance) = 7 or 8 hrs of work, and you'll have about 28 pages of 250 words. If it is a conference, ask for the programme with the participants' names, and use a dictionary for technical terminology. Begin each paragraph on a new line and mention the minutes from time to time.
For instance:

John Smith: xhjsjjsjjs
Jean Dupont: ksksksksk

Generally, you'll be expected to deliver a plain Word file, double interlined and with page numbers.

[Edited at 2006-06-09 09:10]

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Winamp Jun 9, 2006

A couple of years ago I did some transcription work with this program and it was use the keys as if they were a pedal so to speak and there is the possibility to adjust speed of speech so that the talk goes slow enough to understand everything properly and allowing you to type at the same time.
Good luck.....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transcription: ¿Need of a foot petal or specific elements?

Advanced search

Translation news

Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs