Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Which software do you find most useful and which ones are mostly required by agencies?
Thread poster: Evelyne Morel
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 13:39
English to Russian
My set Jun 24, 2006

1) Wordfast - it is a bit buggy but even with the bugs it is more versatile and convenient than any other CAT.
2) Trados - I have it but use it for conversion only. I translate only using Wordfast.
---
+1
ProMt XT - machine translation software. I know ways to teach it and its average translation is like an 85% TM hit.
... See more
1) Wordfast - it is a bit buggy but even with the bugs it is more versatile and convenient than any other CAT.
2) Trados - I have it but use it for conversion only. I translate only using Wordfast.
---
+1
ProMt XT - machine translation software. I know ways to teach it and its average translation is like an 85% TM hit.
+2
Tortoise Tagger (http://accurussian.net/tagger.htm) a freeware utility I wrote with the help of David Daduc, Arkady Vysotsky and Yves Champollion, which can effectively do 95% of what Trados is so valued for: DTP tagging. It can also do what no other CAT can do: tag exotic file formats.

Stay well
Aleksandr

[Edited at 2006-06-24 12:27]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:39
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Harder and smarter work should cost more Jun 25, 2006

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:
No matter what work you perform, in terms of hourly rate, you should charge the same amount. ... If you translate for $50 per hour, you should also proofread, edit and DTP for that much.

I disagree for two reasons:
* Some work is harder than other work, even if it takes the same amount of time.
* Some work requires more skill than other work, even if it takes the same amount of time.

For example, I can translate a financial text about as fast as I can translate a legal text, but the legal text requires me to look in hardcopy dictionaries all the time whereas the financial text can be done using electronic dictionaries. It is easier for me to do the financial texts, even though it takes me just as long on a per-word basis. So... I will charge more for the legal texts, because it is harder work.

I have spent a lot of money and time studying and researching a certain field, and now I can translate fairly quickly in that field. Why should I charge relatively less for work in that field when I have in fact invested more resources into my ability to work fast in it?

My2x.

[Edited at 2006-06-25 20:33]

Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Aleksandr Okunev (X)
Local time: 13:39
English to Russian
To disillusion you. Jun 27, 2006

Aleksandr Okunev wrote:
+1

ProMT does this miracle in just one subject, and it took me TWO years and 500000 translated words to achieve that.

Stay well.
Alex

P.S. I really HATE this STUPID and IDIOTIC setup to confine editing time to 24 hours. I am more than certain that there is some extremely wise idea to increase the site's revenue behind it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which software do you find most useful and which ones are mostly required by agencies?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »