Thread poster: Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
Jun 24, 2006

Hi,
Any idea about learning punjabi non-unicode typing eg. in scripts like Gurmukhilys 20. Evidently the keyboard does not work in the same way so the keyboard utility is actually useless..
And transliteration softwares work only with unicode texts...
Ritu

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:50
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Build your own keyboard layout Jun 24, 2006

There are several ways of doing it. The easier ones first:

1. Build your own keyboard.

You can assign symbols to your keyboard. In MSWord you can do this by going to Insert Menu, then Symbols, then selecting the symbol, then Shortcut key. Now enter a short cut key combination, such as Alt + the symbol key. If you know how to type in unicode Hindi, then you should keep the short key Alt+ "the key position of the letter in Unicode typing".

For example, in Uni
... See more
There are several ways of doing it. The easier ones first:

1. Build your own keyboard.

You can assign symbols to your keyboard. In MSWord you can do this by going to Insert Menu, then Symbols, then selecting the symbol, then Shortcut key. Now enter a short cut key combination, such as Alt + the symbol key. If you know how to type in unicode Hindi, then you should keep the short key Alt+ "the key position of the letter in Unicode typing".

For example, in Unicode, the letter क appears at position k in the normal key board layout.

So you should choose the symbol for the Punjabi क in your font at
Alt + k.

Do this for all the letters in Punjabi (a laborious process, no doubt, but if you have to do a lot of typing in this font it is worth it) and you effectively have a keyboard for that font which is exactly similar (except for the Alt key) to the Unicode keyboard layout of Hindi.

2. If it is only occasionally that you use this font
Then select the font in a new Word document and press the keys of your keyboard one key at a time, followed by a space and all the keys on a row of the keyboard on a fresh line.

Do this for both the normal and shift position of the keyboard.

You now have a keyboard layout of the font. You can spruce it up by typing below each symbol the corresponding English letter and even put all the symbols in a Table format.

You can now take a print out of this or keep it in the background while typing in this font.

After sometime, your fingers will begin to recognize the key positions, and you will have to refer less and less to the keyboard layout you have prepared.

The drawback is that for each non-unicode font, the keyboard layout will be different, and if you use several non-unicode fonts, you are going to go mad after some time! This is the reason why unicode fonts are gaining popularity and eventually will replace legacy fonts.

3. If you need to type only a few words or sentences

Go to Programs, then Accessories, then System tools, then Character Map. Now select the font you want. All the symbols in the font will be displayed. Now you can pick each letter you want by double cliking on it to form the word you want then copy paste it in your document.

4. Use a converter software

The neat way of doing this is to use a software to convert from one font to the other. I know of softwares that can convert from legacy fonts to unicode, but I am sure there would also be softwares that would do the reverse.

5. Write your own converer!

If you are a techie, you can yourself write a converter software! Not joking, it is possible. Or, you can pay a techie to do this for you. You can even make money later by selling the converter to others!

All that needs to be done is to match the character map of the non-unicode font with that of the unicode font. There are some special softwares that help in doing this. If you are so inclined, I suggest that you visit this web site and do a forum search for font conversion:

www.bhashaindia.com

Good luck!
Collapse

Ritu Bhanot
Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
French to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 24, 2006

Thanks Bala, for all those suggestions... Quite helpful and interesting. Maybe I'll try those out one of these days.

Meanwhile, I found something that is simple. Only I couldn't figure it out earlier... the onscreen keyboard layout option. I was trying to work with it using the normal punjabi option and was puzzled that this continued to give me Unicode fonts in spite of the fact that I had chosen another script. Now, I know. One needs to choose English as the working language
... See more
Thanks Bala, for all those suggestions... Quite helpful and interesting. Maybe I'll try those out one of these days.

Meanwhile, I found something that is simple. Only I couldn't figure it out earlier... the onscreen keyboard layout option. I was trying to work with it using the normal punjabi option and was puzzled that this continued to give me Unicode fonts in spite of the fact that I had chosen another script. Now, I know. One needs to choose English as the working language to be able to type in non-unicode fonts, and of course change the font (of the onscreen keyboard) to the desired font.

I know this will take some time to get used to but it is the only sollution in the long run as this will save a lot of time (typing) and I'd be able to work on any computer that has windows XP without going through all those procedures.

Thanks
Collapse

Roy Chaudhuri
Roy Chaudhuri  Identity Verified
India
Member (2006)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks Jun 24, 2006

Dear Bala,

Thank for the extremely good suggestions. I shall try some of them for Bengali where we are also saddled with multiple keyboard layouts and fonts. And each client has his own choice of fonts which need a different family of keyboard layout.

Regards

Sabyasachi

raingrass
raingrass
Local time: 22:20
Bulgarian to English
RE: Aug 7, 2006

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Hi,
Any idea about learning punjabi non-unicode typing eg. in scripts like Gurmukhilys 20. Evidently the keyboard does not work in the same way so the keyboard utility is actually useless..
Ritu

Why don't you use a tablet + handwriting rcognition software? As far as customizable keyboards are concerned see this: http://www.artlebedev.ru/portfolio/optimus/

vikasr
vikasr
Type Punjabi online, easily Sep 30, 2011

Use link: http://shriwaheguru.com/punjabi_keyboard.html. This link is very much useful for translating english to punjabi & It also provide VPK (Virtual Punjabi Keyboard) which will help you to type Punjabi with your keyboard easily & understandable format. It is very easy to use and less time consuming services.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
Hi download it from here http://www.ffonts.net/GurmukhiLys-020.font May 28, 2012

Ritu Bhanot wrote:

Hi,
Ritu

Hi

download it from here

http://www.ffonts.net/GurmukhiLys-020.font

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Punjabi Typing

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »