Translating index markers in STagger files seperately
Thread poster: Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
English to Swedish
Jul 18, 2006

Hello,
When working on large projects I often start by extracting the index markers and translating them first, as this is a way to create a terminology base for the project. Often the index markers also need another form than for example headings in a manual:
Example:
Heading:
Format toolbar
In Swedish this would translate into:
"Verktygsfältet Format"
But the index marker for the exact same sentence would translate:
"Format, verktygsfält"
... See more
Hello,
When working on large projects I often start by extracting the index markers and translating them first, as this is a way to create a terminology base for the project. Often the index markers also need another form than for example headings in a manual:
Example:
Heading:
Format toolbar
In Swedish this would translate into:
"Verktygsfältet Format"
But the index marker for the exact same sentence would translate:
"Format, verktygsfält"

This can be achieved by using a TM with Multiple Translations.
However, I am thinking that I would be good to pre-translated *only* the index markers in a file first, and then "lock" them by changing >100< to >101< (a good way of "tricking" Trados into thinking that the segments are XTranslated so they are left alone, color and all).
But I have not come up with a good way of doing this. Any suggestions?

Best regards,
Cecilia
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
why not put all this in MultiTerm base? Jul 18, 2006

extracting the index markers and translating them first, as this is a way to create a terminology base for the project.

I must be missing something, but I do that to get MuiltiTerm entries - not TM segments. That means putting the entries (for instance ancillary stuff) into an Excel column, translate into the next column and MultiTerm Convert...

Regards

Vito

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
If you use TTX files, you can parse it with MSXML or the Trados API Jul 18, 2006

Hi Cecilia,

If you're working with pretranslated TTX files, it's relatively easy to parse them with MSXML because they're actually XML files. Some time ago I wrote a very simple VBA macro in Excel that writes all segments that are preceded by [ie] or [il] to a spreadsheet. It might even be easier in Word, but I haven't tried it yet.

Olaf

[Edited at 2006-07-18 09:21]

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Correction of original entry Jul 18, 2006

Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. When I said "create a terminology base for the project" I did not mean a database with terms, but was rather referring to creating a base for the terminology - that is researching many of the project specific terms at the beginning of a project (the index markers ususally contains a lot of project specific terminology, so this is a cheap way to extract terminology from a project).

Of course, I then use these a a terminology database, but what
... See more
Sorry, I didn't express myself clearly. When I said "create a terminology base for the project" I did not mean a database with terms, but was rather referring to creating a base for the terminology - that is researching many of the project specific terms at the beginning of a project (the index markers ususally contains a lot of project specific terminology, so this is a cheap way to extract terminology from a project).

Of course, I then use these a a terminology database, but what I was trying to ask was if there is a way to pretranslate only the index markers ( and ) in a file in some kind of "automatic" way.

Sorry about the confusion!

Best regards,
Cecilia
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One way of doing it ... Jul 18, 2006

...a way to pretranslate only the index markers ( and ) in a file in some kind of "automatic" way.

If you output the contents of the source into a file, you can throw away everything but the Index pages, and that should do for starters.

I guess;)...

Vito

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Please post in the right forum Jul 18, 2006

Cecilia,
You posted the same query in the SDL Trados Support forum (where it belongs). Please refrain from cross-posting.

Can we please continue there? I'm locking this topic.

Thanks, Ralf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating index markers in STagger files seperately

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »