https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_theory_and_practice/53474-power_point_reality_check.html

Power Point reality check
Thread poster: Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:45
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Aug 16, 2006

I recently did a Power Point job for a client who complained because I did not:

1) Translate some stuff he had put in the notes

2) Because I didn't reajust the graphics to fit after I did the translation

Well, first of all, I have done tons of Power Point jobs and have never had a client expect me to translate something written in those hidden notes...it never even occured to me to look there. I only use them when I need to translate something that's not ed
... See more
I recently did a Power Point job for a client who complained because I did not:

1) Translate some stuff he had put in the notes

2) Because I didn't reajust the graphics to fit after I did the translation

Well, first of all, I have done tons of Power Point jobs and have never had a client expect me to translate something written in those hidden notes...it never even occured to me to look there. I only use them when I need to translate something that's not editable.

2) This really floored me. I thought I was a translator, not a digital graphics manipulator. Actually, many times I do try to adjust the graphics to fit, just because I'm fussy that way, but I don't feel it's part of my job.

Anybody have any thoughts about this?
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:45
Italian to English
In memoriam
Well ... Aug 16, 2006

... by default stuff in notes should be translated (or at least checked for and queried with the client), and can be done happily enough with Trados TagEditor or other CAT tools.

Adjusting graphics in PowerPoint, though, is not a standard translation service and rates should be agreed before you start working on the translation.

FWIW,

Giles

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I learn something new every day! Aug 16, 2006

This is news to me: I thought the notes were strictly for the translator's use, and I have honestly never run into this situation before in the hundreds of PPs I've translated!

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 03:45
Spanish to English
+ ...
My way ... Aug 16, 2006

When I do PowerPoint translations (very rarely, fortunately - they're more trouble than they're worth!), I always check with the client what exactly they want/expect me to do.

In some cases the notes are a crib-sheet used by the author when presenting his 'show' to colleagues or clients, and if he is unsure of himself when speaking their language then he may want the crib-sheet translated, too. The author might also want the translation added to the notes, rather than as a replacem
... See more
When I do PowerPoint translations (very rarely, fortunately - they're more trouble than they're worth!), I always check with the client what exactly they want/expect me to do.

In some cases the notes are a crib-sheet used by the author when presenting his 'show' to colleagues or clients, and if he is unsure of himself when speaking their language then he may want the crib-sheet translated, too. The author might also want the translation added to the notes, rather than as a replacement for the existing text, so he has both versions available.

As there is usually not much text to translate, but often a lot of hassle to get the layout looking right, I always give a two-part quote: XX per word PLUS YY per hour - with a minimum of one hour.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:45
French to English
Notes Aug 16, 2006

I would guess around half the PPs I do have notes, and I always translate them.

I also generally make some kind of effort to get the text to fit the boxes etc. although if a fairly simple resize of the font, use of a standard English abbreviation, or resize of the box or some combo of all the above doesn't do the trick, I'll generally make a note and let the client sort it out.

That said, I would agree that PP files are a major pain in the neck, even if one charges more
... See more
I would guess around half the PPs I do have notes, and I always translate them.

I also generally make some kind of effort to get the text to fit the boxes etc. although if a fairly simple resize of the font, use of a standard English abbreviation, or resize of the box or some combo of all the above doesn't do the trick, I'll generally make a note and let the client sort it out.

That said, I would agree that PP files are a major pain in the neck, even if one charges more for doing them, it's no compensation, and quite honestly if I never see another one again, that'll be fine by me
Collapse

heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 08:45
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
All part of the service Aug 17, 2006

That's all part of the service and the reason that I - whenever possible - charge PP projects by the hour.
It can be very time-consuming to make the longer German translations fit on slides that are already crowded in the English original.

But IMO that's still part of the translation process since in many cases I will have to shorten the translation, decide what part of information can be left out, re-phrase etc. to make it fit. That's why they hire a professional to do the t
... See more
That's all part of the service and the reason that I - whenever possible - charge PP projects by the hour.
It can be very time-consuming to make the longer German translations fit on slides that are already crowded in the English original.

But IMO that's still part of the translation process since in many cases I will have to shorten the translation, decide what part of information can be left out, re-phrase etc. to make it fit. That's why they hire a professional to do the translation after all.
Collapse

AWa (X)
AWa (X)
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Heike Aug 17, 2006

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:

(...)

When informed about (possible) problems with fitting text into the layout most customers agree to pay by the hour.
Nevertheless, when delivering the translation, I point out changes in the layout and ask the customer to check the whole presentation carefully to make sure it still looks the way they want it to.

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I thought they were crib sheets Aug 17, 2006

mediamatrix wrote:

In some cases the notes are a crib-sheet used by the author when presenting his 'show' to colleagues or clients, and if he is unsure of himself when speaking their language then he may want the crib-sheet translated, too.

MediaMatrix

Yes, when I finally did see these notes, I thought they were a crib sheet just for the authors, and not to be translated.

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
PowerPoint translations exist in order to be turned down Aug 17, 2006

I detest the things, and, as for fiddling with the layout, well, I would agree with Heike, in principle, that it should be part of the job. Unfortunately, however, I have yet to come across an agency that will agree to pay by the hour. Every time I have had to do one the agency (always a different one) has insisted on paying a particularly low word rate. This leads me to the conclusion that the correct thing to do with a PowerPoint translation is to turn it down.

Astrid

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I don't think they're all that bad! Aug 18, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

I detest the things, and, as for fiddling with the layout, well, I would agree with Heike, in principle, that it should be part of the job. Unfortunately, however, I have yet to come across an agency that will agree to pay by the hour. Every time I have had to do one the agency (always a different one) has insisted on paying a particularly low word rate. This leads me to the conclusion that the correct thing to do with a PowerPoint translation is to turn it down.

Astrid

Wow, Astrid, I don't feel quite that strongly about them, if fact I sometimes find them fun and a pleasant change from pages of just words, words, words. However, I wish someone had told me about the notes and the fact that I'm usually expected to manipulate the graphics. I find it really weird that after all the PPs I've translated (and never even looked at the notes, unless I was adding one myself), no one has ever complained until now! Go figure!

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 02:45
English to Russian
+ ...
There are different options Aug 18, 2006

In my case it can be one of a 3

1. Regular word rate in case of simple layouts. I agree that we are expected to deliver a final PP file with everything in place. The agreements that work for me:

2. Word+hours for DTP if I'm the one to deliver a turnkey file requiring lots of formatting.

3. Agreement with the agency that their DTP people will take care of overpopulated files after the editor does his part with the text. With the agencies this would normal
... See more
In my case it can be one of a 3

1. Regular word rate in case of simple layouts. I agree that we are expected to deliver a final PP file with everything in place. The agreements that work for me:

2. Word+hours for DTP if I'm the one to deliver a turnkey file requiring lots of formatting.

3. Agreement with the agency that their DTP people will take care of overpopulated files after the editor does his part with the text. With the agencies this would normally be the case because it is much easier and cheaper for them to have DTP guys to throw in final words instead of editing first and re-adjusting the whole thing all over again second. It only takes adding or deleting a few words here and there to mess up the entire crowded slide.

Set up PP to make sure that when you launch it the notes section of the slides is shown by default.
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone... Aug 20, 2006

...for your suggestions and comments about your experiences with PowerPoint. It really helped me a lot!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power Point reality check

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »