domestication's influence on the target text's readers identities
Thread poster: Tomasz Chyrzyński

Tomasz Chyrzyński  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:51
Member (2012)
Polish to English
+ ...
Aug 27, 2006

why and how does domestication, according to Venuti, influence the creation of norms and values among the target text audience?

Direct link Reply with quote
Lindsay Sabadosa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:51
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
Article Knowledge Base Aug 28, 2006

First of all, it sounds like you don't want to read the article on your own.
Second, I believe that you can find quite a bit of information about Venuti et al in the Article Knowledge Base (just search using "domestication").
And thirdly, isn't domestication a reflection of the norms and values of the target audience? The only way I can think that it affects the norms and values is that, in terms of translators' invisibility, it continues to mask the presence of the translator thereby affecting the way translations are accepted in the target culture (i.e. as if they were *written* in the target language by their author rather than translated into the target language).
But check out Venuti's article on translator's invisibility (I believe that's what it's called too). It will clear everything up.

Angela Dickson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:51
French to English
+ ...
essay question? Aug 28, 2006

this sounds like a university essay question. If you want help here, you should provide more information:

Have you read the article? What do you understand the question to mean? How does the article help you to address the question? How would you like people here to help you?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

domestication's influence on the target text's readers identities

Advanced search

Translation news

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs