Typing directly or writing on paper first.
Thread poster: Pundora

Pundora  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:26
English to Hindi
+ ...
Sep 22, 2006

Hello all,

I am just curious to know the procedure others follow while translating larger assignments, say, 1000 words or larger. Till one year back or so, I didn't know how to type in Hindi so I just wrote on paper and then had it typed from some Hindi typist. But now that I have got proficiency in typing also I often find it more stressful to do the larger jobs directly on my pc. I have a few local clients here who send the matter to me as hard copy. After I translate, they get it typed from their in house typists then send the print to me again for proofreading. Even bigger jobs that I receive through net, I do the translation on paper first and then take help from typists. But sometimes I have to do it directly on pc. But then, the typists type really faster than I do.

Please let me know which procedure do you follow and which one is better actually. I am just not sure about it. I would like to know about the position in languages also.

Thank you

Direct link Reply with quote

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use It Sep 23, 2006

If you have a PC, then use it, it will allow you to do many things you cannot do on paper. If you do not know how to use it to best advantage, then learn, I think it will be a quick process and a profitable one, very profitable compared with the process you use now.

Regarding the question "I would like to know about the position in languages also", I do not understand the question at all.

India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
"other languages" was the word. Sep 23, 2006

Henry Hinds wrote:

Regarding the question "I would like to know about the position in languages also", I do not understand the question at all.

Thanks for your advice Henry. Sorry for the omission. It was "other languages", meaning I wanted to know if the same situation prevails in languages other than Hindi. Just to know if typing costs are high in other languages. In Hindi they are not much. Normally, just 20 Indian Rupee per page(about 300 words, in Word file. In other programmes may be higher.). And, the typists take care of the refquired skills. Of course, learning the skills has got it's own advantages. Thanks again for your advice.

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:56
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Handwriting in target language Sep 23, 2006

This is wandering off the topic a bit, but if I get Russian handwriting to translate and it is of poor legibility, I find it helps to copy out as much of it as I can in my own Russian handwriting. In the course of doing this, I am often able to make out more of the original.

Ritu Bhanot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:56
Member (2006)
French to Hindi
+ ...
Type Directly Sep 23, 2006

Hi,

I too work in the same language combinations and I type directly on the computer as it saves a lot of time... moreover, if you get it typed from outside you are actually reducing your profits and then what is the guarantee that the typist has typed correctly... which is a big problem with Hindi as lots of typists don't know the correct spelling...

Glaring example of this is all those hoardings and print mistakes... so when you type it yourself you are reducing the chances of any such mistakes.

Well, it's easy to learn hindi typing... all you have to do is download hindityping tutor (shakti aasaan Hindi) which is available free of cost online. And believe me after a couple of days of regular practice (say 1/2 and hour or one hour a day) you'd be typing as fast as any typist. And increase your productivity as well as profit.

Well... that's just my view.

Ritu

[Edited at 2006-09-23 09:31]

algtranslator
United States
Arabic to English
+ ...
Learning to use the computer is a MUST... Sep 23, 2006

Hello Pundora,

When I was a student, I was doing the same thing which was slow and tiring. I have always found it easier to use the handwriting then do the typing.
However, for files with such an average volume, I would recommend the following:

1) Copy the original text and paste it in a new file.
2) Divide the texts into small paragraphes/segments/a few sentences.
3) Type the translation right down each segment.

* You would basically have SL then TL.
4) Proofread then erase the original segments (SL)

This method would be a good start and would absolutely help you to be faster and more organized ( Later you can use CAT tools and it's the same principle with more helpful options).

Regards,
Mus

xxxNMR
France
French to Dutch
+ ...
Type it directly Sep 23, 2006

I did the same thing as you, longtime ago. But after one or two pages your hands are really tired, while you can go on typing for several hours. And after a while, when seeing the original text, the translation is already in your fingers (it doesn't seem to pass by your brain!). The only thing that I write down, sometimes, are bilingual glossaries because I have to use several documents and other printed material at the same time, on a big table.

Before using a CAT, you should try an electronic dictionary, which is a BIG improvement and makes you win time. I hope there is one in your language.

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:56
English to Spanish
+ ...
Paper Sep 23, 2006

For years I did my translations with paper and pencil, then they went to a typist and then through the processes of proofing, correction and retyping, on and on.

This meant tons of paper, things (or people) having to go back and forth, very long delivery times and tremendous inefficiency in the entire process!

Oh, thanks to the PC and the Internet, we have been freed from those chains!

I never did learn to type correctly, having no formal instruction at all in it, but at least I did keep up what little skill I had through the years by using typwriters in tasks other than translation. I often wondered if I was actually good enough to earn a living typing.

Now I find I can, with a little value added, of course!

My languages use the same alphabet with the exception of a few accent marks so that is not much of a consideration. Typing costs depend on the country and they would be high here (USA), but the inefficiency in having someone else do it is unacceptable even if the cost is cheap.

Do it yourself! Even business executives have learned to type these days.

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I would say it depends on your precise economic situation Sep 23, 2006

Hi Pundora,

In my opinion, which way you do it depends on your economic situation. A general business principle is that you first of all work out the value of an hour of your time. After that, give any work that can be done much more cheaply, than by using up an hour of your time, to somebody else able and willing to do that task (in your case the typists).

If you only have a slow typing speed, and you would therefore earn less in an hour by doing the typing yourself than by concentrating on translating, maybe it pays to keep on using the typists.

However, if you can learn to type Hindi fast, and you would then earn enough per hour by doing that part of the job yourself - and maybe if you also get used to thinking on screen - then you would possibly save money (and, as Ritu says, reduce the number of possible typing errors) by cutting out the typists.

You need to work out which way is most profitable for you, I think.

Astrid

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
One possible alternative Sep 23, 2006

is dictate to the typist. And if you buy him or her a PC, you're both better off...

Sophia Hundt  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:56
Russian to English
+ ...
type it - if you are comfortable typing Sep 24, 2006

If you learn how to type with 10 fingers, you can write significantly faster than by hand, as fast as you think, really! Plus, you save yourself lots of time since you don't have to do the same thing twice and the computer will also check the spelling for you (you can have that option for Hindi, I hope.) Naturally, this means that you can deliver your work much, much faster and don't depend on another person and her quality of work and speed, nor do you have to pay somebody else.

[Edited at 2006-09-24 04:26]

India
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks. Sep 26, 2006

Thanks a lot to all of you for your kind suggestions. I am already very proficient in Hindi as well as English typing(with 10 fingers of course) but not very much used to typing directly while translating. Besides, I have noted that a few spelling mistakes remain when I have proofread on screen and then see the print. May be this is Hindi specific(there is no auto spell check for Hindi. No matter how carefully I have typed it, proofreading with a print in case of bigger assignments is a must whether I type it or got it typed from someone else.). Anyway, I am already on my way to typing myself.

Claire Titchmarsh  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Type!! Sep 26, 2006

I agree with Ritu. I did a professional typing course when I left university and it was the single best investment in my career that I've ever made. I can type about 90 wpm, basically I type as fast as I think, which changes the whole way I translate. It will take a bit of practice but keep plugging away and it'll soon become second nature.

Petra_44  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Type and proofread hardcopy Sep 27, 2006

Translating English/German, German/English, writing by hand has never occured to me. I did this at University, about 10 years ago, when PC work was still new to me.

However, I find it helpful to print out the translation for proofreading after it is completed. Yes, I know there is such a thing as spellcheck - only it doesn't work too well for technical texts with words like "our XYZ-215 9/17 chip" in every other sentence.

I would say: Try getting used to typing directly, and if it still feels strange to you, then don't. You'll only be able to do your best work using tools you are comfortable with.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Typing directly or writing on paper first.

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs