Mobile menu

A copy of your passport or driving license, a client request?
Thread poster: Ehab Tantawy

Ehab Tantawy  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:41
Member (2006)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Sep 24, 2006

Dear All

Asking for references was an issue was DISCUSSED already in a previous thread at the forums. But the stransge the request i have received from a client asking about many things, here is a copy from his message "In order to formally register with our company, You are required to complete the enclosed Application Form and return it us by e-mail at xxxxx along with an up to date CV, copies of Your Diplomas, Certificates (related to Your linguistic profession or not), two Letters of Reference with referees' contact details, a copy of Your passport or driving license and a statement and evidence of continuous professional development (the professional development should come in the form of a report, which includes evidence of Your work experience, additional training and extra curricular activities which involve translation or interpreting)."

This list of requests i found at their website as required documents for a deal or work with them.

I found that strange, specially the copy of the passport, although i am not resident at their coutry.

I must send these copies tommorow, so please advise my what i can do to handle this issue.

Thanks for your support.

[Edited at 2006-09-24 08:35]

[Edited at 2006-09-24 08:36]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2006-09-24 20:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

Krys Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:41
Member (2003)
Polish to English
+ ...
how very bureaucratic! Sep 24, 2006

Hello Ehab

I guess they want to see your passport or driving licence in order to have proof of your identity.

Must say that unless working for these people involved some extremely lucrative jobs, my own response would be to tell them, in the best Anglo-Saxon, where to put their requirements! I think the attitude of some agencies is absolutely ridiculous and we freelancers should not encourage it by complying with these stupid requests.

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
A copy of Your passport or driving license, a client Request? Sep 24, 2006

See .

This wouldn't concern a highly publicized agency in London run by a lady of Baltic origin, by any chance?

Claudia Krysztofiak  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
Ask for their references first Sep 24, 2006

MarcPrior wrote:

See .

And you absolutely have to look at this thread:

There you find the advice how to react to such requests, if at all...

I especially liked the part with the "test payment".

Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
No way... Sep 24, 2006

Honestly, each time I get a request for such things I tell them very politely to go hell...

I can understand that an agency may ask for a diploma, so as to ensure that you have the qualifications they need. But a passport/driver's licence? Careful, there is a 99% probability that this is a scam...

United States
Local time: 11:41
English to Russian
+ ...
Don't even think about it Sep 25, 2006

Tell them as rude as you can:-) that they are out of line and their legal rights.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A copy of your passport or driving license, a client request?

Advanced search

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs