What do you all know about the laws in the US
Thread poster: yolanda Speece
yolanda Speece  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 28, 2006

that have anything to do with translation and interpreting?

I know that there are some laws but does anyone know of any that vary from state to state?

There is Title VI of the Civil Rights act of 1964 that covers national origin discrimination. There is also EO 13166. Then there is the memorandum sent out by the US Department of Health and Human Services. I also know that each state requires its COURT interpreters to be certified by that state.

Are there any other laws regulating these professions?

I know to some this may seem like a redundant question but I am asking something totally different.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Direct link Reply with quote

teju  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
About court interpreters Oct 28, 2006

Yolanda, I found this website from Cornell University, with the law that applies to court interpreters. Is this what you mean?

US CODE: Title 28,1827. Interpreters in courts of the United States
Upon the request of the Judicial Conference of the United States for certified interpreters in a language, ... Study law abroad: Cornell Paris Institute ...
www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/28/1827.html - 25k - Cached - Similar pages

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Anything and everything in this country Oct 28, 2006

All of it Federal, state, county and local. Everything. Any type of legislation, court cases, etc.

All of it.

I am doing research on inaccurate translations for one of my classes so everything is welcome.

I have found a few things on my own and will share but I want to see what everyone else has.

Especially the court cases. I am trying to build a case for something and I need any help I can get regarding this.

[Edited at 2006-10-28 18:34]

texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:49
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
I found this court case. Oct 28, 2006

Dear Yolanda, I found this. I hope it helps.
Regards,

Sibel Dinez Edmonds, a Turkish-American, was "hired as a translator by the FBI shortly after the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001 because of her knowledge of Middle Eastern languages. She was fired less than a year later in March 2002 for reporting shoddy work and security breaches to her supervisors that could have prevented those attacks."
http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Sibel_Edmonds

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Maybe not each state Oct 28, 2006

I don't know how many states now require court interpreter certification, but you must be aware that even Texas did not have it until a few years ago. Surely there are many states that still do not.

In addition, such certification in most cases would probably be limited to Spanish.

That would be something you would want to look at in your research.

Another thing is that different agencies other than the courts in some states can also require interpreter certification.

You'll probably find a real hodge-podge.

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's why I want the Prozians to send Oct 28, 2006

anything and everything they know about court interpreting, translating, legislation and legal cases.

I am trying to prove something and I need as much information as possible that is out there. I want to make sure that I have all my information before I make my presentation and I am afraid there may have been something I might have overlooked.

I want to make a watertight argument.

Paul Merriam  Identity Verified
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
NAJIT Oct 28, 2006

For people who don't know about this organization, it's the National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators (abbreviated as NAJIT). Their web site is http://www.najit.org . I recommend visiting it and seeing whether any of the links are of interest to you.

There is some case law on interpreter issues on appeal. An article abou it was published in an old issue of Proteus, NAJIT's journal. If there's no link from NAJIT's site, I recommend running "Virginia Benmaman" through your favorite search engine and seeing if that brings it up. (Dr. Benmaman, a scholar in South Carolina, is the author of the article.)

If you haven't done so already, may I suggest looking at http://www.findlaw.com . If you use the "for legal professionals" link, you can then go to "cases and codes" This will lead, after other links, to the entire US Code, lots of US Supreme Court case law, the New Mexico Statutes and Court Rules (which you can then search for the 80 items with the word "interpreter") etc.

STATE V. RICO, 2002-NMSC-022 , 132 N.M. 570 , 52 P.3d 942 is a court case involving an interpreter for the jurors, claiming violation of the New Mexico state constitution. (Side issue: Patricia Madrid, the New Mexico Attorney General at the time who expressed her views in this case, is now running for Congress.)

I think you've picked a topic that can easily branch out into tangents. Unless you're an attorney writing a book, I suggest narrowing it down.

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Henry is right Oct 29, 2006

For example, Florida recently passed its own regulations for court interpreter certification. Now every Florida state court interpreter must be certified. There is a body called the Consortium, —some states that have some regulations for state court interpreters, but not all states in the Consortium have certification requirements.

The interpreter certification, at least in Florida and several states belonging to the Consortium, is now offered for sure for English-Spanish and English-Haitian Creole, both written and oral, and I believe also for some other languages as well.

As for translators, nothing, nothing, a complete void where the ATA certification is the only resemblance of formality; which is why it is so coveted and sought after.

teju  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another link Oct 29, 2006

Yolanda, the link below was from a recent discussion in the forum, "should translation be a regulated profession". It might be helpful to you. The subject of interpreters making mistakes in court has also been discussed, it's a matter of looking it up in the forum.

http://www.proz.com/post/444054#444054

You also mention that you "want to make sure you have all the information before your presentation", specifically, what is it that you are missing? We might be able to help you better. Good luck to you!

teju

English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Teju and everyone else Oct 29, 2006

This is the kind of information I am looking for. As I said anything and everything.

Someone wrote to me asking if this was for a court case, and no, it is not. For those of you that are wondering, this is for a class, not a court case.

Please keep sending in information. Thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do you all know about the laws in the US

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs