Mobile menu

Language search Engines - Lingotek - advantages??
Thread poster: Heike Steffens

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:55
Italian to German
+ ...
Oct 29, 2006

I noted the Lingotek ad on proz.com page and had a look at their site. At first look, it seemed rather interesting to me, but then I had some doubts about the benefits or advantages of that new technology.

Maybe I'm missing something or did not understand the whole concept correctly, but as I'm working as a freelance and not as an employed translator (as well for translation agencies), I would not at all like them to control me or the time I need to get my jobs done.

Quote: "Additionally, you can, assign specific translators to work on these steps and see in real time their progress on the project without entering any of the data yourself. The fact that the translations are done remotely means the system can tell when a translator has started and enter the start date. It can tell how much of the translation is completed and give you a percent of completion. It can estimate at the current pace how long it will take for a translator or reviewer to complete their task and even notify you if it appears that they are behind schedule and may not meet the deadline."

I don't think that I would allow my customers that insight into my working situation.
I've read carefully the thread opened before on that subject http://www.proz.com/post/400628#400628 and have got other rather discouraging information.

I would appreciate knowing what you think about it.

Have a nice Sunday!
Heike

Direct link Reply with quote

James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Seychelles
Local time: 08:55
Italian to English
My translation memory was better. Oct 29, 2006

I tried it, but it was not a touch on my own translation memory, so I stopped.
Jim

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maria Castro[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language search Engines - Lingotek - advantages??

Advanced search

Translation news

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs