Mobile menu

Language search Engines - Lingotek - advantages??
Thread poster: Heike Steffens

Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:51
Italian to German
+ ...
Oct 29, 2006

I noted the Lingotek ad on page and had a look at their site. At first look, it seemed rather interesting to me, but then I had some doubts about the benefits or advantages of that new technology.

Maybe I'm missing something or did not understand the whole concept correctly, but as I'm working as a freelance and not as an employed translator (as well for translation agencies), I would not at all like them to control me or the time I need to get my jobs done.

Quote: "Additionally, you can, assign specific translators to work on these steps and see in real time their progress on the project without entering any of the data yourself. The fact that the translations are done remotely means the system can tell when a translator has started and enter the start date. It can tell how much of the translation is completed and give you a percent of completion. It can estimate at the current pace how long it will take for a translator or reviewer to complete their task and even notify you if it appears that they are behind schedule and may not meet the deadline."

I don't think that I would allow my customers that insight into my working situation.
I've read carefully the thread opened before on that subject and have got other rather discouraging information.

I would appreciate knowing what you think about it.

Have a nice Sunday!

Direct link Reply with quote

James (Jim) Davis  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:51
Italian to English
My translation memory was better. Oct 29, 2006

I tried it, but it was not a touch on my own translation memory, so I stopped.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language search Engines - Lingotek - advantages??

Advanced search

Translation news PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs